3.8 SC wiring questions by Spiders1
Started on: 08-03-2013 10:07 AM
Replies: 19 (620 views)
Last post by: Spiders1 on 08-21-2013 10:30 PM
Spiders1

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Spiders1Send a Private Message to Spiders1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have gotten deep into the swap. Sold my 3.4 conversion and trans so there is no going back now.
Got a 80k series II and uncut harness out of a 97 GTP, Getrag, 2000 GTP computer, all of the brackets,
all of the cables, solid cradle mounts and flywheel.

I have tried searching this question but the search function on here only picks up exact phrases and NOTHING else.

Can i get a list of what sensors I need to keep on the 3.8.
What do I need to keep and use from the Fiero harness.

If I left out something or you need more info throw it at me.

Thanks guys.

T
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the wiring pinouts from Darth Fiero's (Ryan) website www.GMTuners.com

Wiring pinout for the 1997 PCM:
http://www.gmtuners.com/fil...PCM_Fiero_wiring.pdf

Wiring pinout for the 1998-2002 PCM
http://www.gmtuners.com/fil...o_L67_PCM_wiring.pdf

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread
Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Respectfully about every wiring harness question that could be asked was asked here - https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/124565.html

And a follow up to it here - https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/129550.html

Are you sure you want to build your own 3800 swap harness? You do know I do it for a fee correct?

FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Basically unless you are using a Fiero tranny the only thing you need from the old Fiero set up is the engine portion of the C203 and C500 connector to make up a swap harness with. If you want a more accurate coolant gauge keep that sensor and run dual sensors, it is able to be done but very tight fit with the stock exhaust cross over in place and if it is an 88 V6 Fiero keep the oil pressure sensor and use it.
there is a build thread in the FAQs and how tos section on here that may be of help to you. Dan

------------------

DARN Cars now open with
Over 30 years wiring experience between cars and trade as an avionics technician in both Canadian Air Force and civilian aviation.
Over 25 years experience building and modifying cars.
Over 10 years of full Fiero engine swaps and harnesses building and still going.

Spiders1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Spiders1Send a Private Message to Spiders1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys..I tried searching the site and I could only get a few bits of info on it.

I have seen a few offers for building harnesses but the cost seemed quite high to me.
PM with a price, plug and play would nice.

Can not wait to get it done. Always wanted a quick Fiero.
FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I charge $400 when supplied with a 3800 harness to work with and I also give a matching programed PCM with each harness at no extra cost. I also help others make their own harnesses by answering questions, supplying diagrams or sending photos to explain things better when needed. Dan
Spiders1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Spiders1Send a Private Message to Spiders1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I may have to go with the supplying help route. Does your harness come with the reverse light wiring?
Pulled the computer out a salvage yard car myself would it help lower the cost if I sent that with the harness?

MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can hit that little PM button in FIEROFLYERs post and send him a message directly.

If you want to speed things up you should post the following information about your Fiero:
Year - Model - Engine (stock to car) - Transmission (stock to car)

Then you should tell them what you are trying to put in your car:
Engine: Year - Model - Mods
Transmission: Year - Model - Mods

[This message has been edited by MulletproofMonk (edited 08-04-2013).]

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Before sending money or parts to anyone search their name on these forums, sort by date and check their recent past performance.

Past performance does give a good indication of future results when dealing with contractors.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 08-04-2013).]

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Ditto" to That. Check out people's REPutation "Before" sending $$ ! If you don't have "Nerves of steel", miles of extra wire, an eagerness to Solder a couple hundred wires, and "untold Hours" to kill, Just let Phonedawgs "build you one". I wish I had !
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
btw, I charge $485 + shipping assuming you are running a MT, no A/C, no cruise and you supply both donor harnesses. I run about 2 -3 weeks from down payment to when the harness is ready to be shipped and final payment is due. 100% isn't demanded up front. A great number of new terminals and new connectors are used in my harnesses.

I can also say that you are working for less than minimum wage if you build your own and you don't really have any experience in doing it. Start with subtracting the cost of the new terminals, wire tape and connectors. Subtract off the cost of the VSS buffer.

I don't intend to be the cheapest. A reasonable price with a reasonable turn around.
PFF
System Bot
FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you can read a diagram and solder and have the time on your hands I would say do it your self if not there is a few on here that make them other then me.
I am not always the fastest and do some times fall behind when over worked or my health goes for a crap but I always get them done and fully warranty all my work. What the heck I guess that makes me human we all make mistakes from time to time but learning from them, is what makes us better people.
My harnesses all come with a matching programmed PCM, built in speedo buffer when needed and built to match the swap the harness is built for. All I know is that after over 11 years I am still making swap harnesses, mounts, full kits and doing full swaps or just simply answering questions to help others build their own cars.
I say try and make it if you need help just ask and if you end up in over your head then get some one else to make it for you. Dan
Spiders1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Spiders1Send a Private Message to Spiders1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
86 v-6 4 speed

I put the rest at the top of the page but I will restate it.

Installing a 97 3.8 series no mods at first with a getrag

You can hit that little PM button in FIEROFLYERs post and send him a message directly.

If you want to speed things up you should post the following information about your Fiero:
Year - Model - Engine (stock to car) - Transmission (stock to car)

Then you should tell them what you are trying to put in your car:
Engine: Year - Model - Mods
Transmission: Year - Model - Mods

[/QUOTE]

FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would say wire it as a 2000 GTP to make things a lot easier on you and get the 2000 PCM programmed to work with a manual tranny and for the 97 MAF your engine has. Dan
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2013 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I think that was the plan all along.

You can keep or drop the BBV.
You can keep or drop the Evap Solenoid. I recommend keeping it.
You need to keep the MAP, IAT, ICM along with the crank and cam sensors, Heated O2 on the exhaust manifold, 2 knock sensors, IAC, TPS, MAF and 3 wire CTS.
You should drop the post cat Heated O2 sensor, and the transmission connectors.
Spiders1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2013 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Spiders1Send a Private Message to Spiders1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes that was the plan..people were saying to use a 98 to 2002 computer as they were the best
choice. So i pulled one from a salvage yard. I still have the original for the engine in case it's needed for something.
Spiders1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Spiders1Send a Private Message to Spiders1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My cradle is in the shop getting the front cross over boxed in. Painted up all the other suspension components.

What clutch is suggested for a very mild 3.8?
FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SPEC 3+ is about the best for a mild to wild 3800SC great grip and more street-able then the stage 3 in my opinion.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spiders1:

Yes that was the plan..people were saying to use a 98 to 2002 computer as they were the best
choice. So i pulled one from a salvage yard. I still have the original for the engine in case it's needed for something.

97 PCM can be used to keep the car from rolling.

I wouldn't discourage someone from making their own harness if they had some basic knowledge of electrical wiring, were willing to invest the time to do it right, willing to invest the purchases to do it right. Soldered. Shrink tube. No wire crimps. Replace the connectors that are broken. Add the ones you are missing.

I also wouldn't encourage someone to do it that had no experience with wiring, wasn't willing to learn it or just wanted to rush through it. I have gotten a few of those harnesses as donors when people were purchasing mine.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 08-21-2013).]

Spiders1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Spiders1Send a Private Message to Spiders1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks flyer I will check into that one..

I'm not using a 97 computer, I got a 2000 GTP computer.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock