powder coating expert by Bruce
Started on: 08-02-2013 11:34 AM
Replies: 5 (220 views)
Last post by: dematrix86gt on 08-03-2013 02:13 PM
Bruce

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone on the Forum do powder coating? I would like to have two manifolds and a Y-pipe done, and I would pay a reasonable (not "cheap") amount.
Thanks!
bb
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
can you powdercoat exhaust parts? Or is it a ceramic type of process?
Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought there was a type of ceramic powder coat, but I am not very familiar with the process.
I had one set of manifolds coated by JetHot, but they are starting to peel. That's not very cool (no pun) for a lifetime guarantee. It's only been a relatively short 6 years in my manifolds' lifetime.
Incidentally, I've contacted JetHot several times about the failure under warantee, but I haven't heard back from them yet. Curioser and curioser.
bb
IFLYR22

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While you can powder coat exhaust parts, it is not advised. Most powder coated parts are heat set at about 350*F. Exhaust temps at the manifold will cause it to flake and come off after a short time.

A high silicone content powder can withstand much higher temps (close to 1000*F) and would work, but I am not sure for how long on a manifold.

-Dave
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a hi temp powder that can be used. I had a set of headers done years ago. Never discolored or came apart.

Bob
dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Give these PPL a call they can hook you up. http://www.hotrodlane.cc/ Its Street and performance in mena arkansas. They Can do it all!! Great bunch of guys to work with as everyone of them are gearheads and not pencil pushers.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock