Oil in Manual 4 speed ? by Geof
Started on: 08-01-2013 02:09 PM
Replies: 3 (170 views)
Last post by: Geof on 08-01-2013 05:25 PM
Geof

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GeofSend a Private Message to GeofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi
I am restoring my 1986 SE which I bought new in the fall of 1985 and there been a lot of technology changes in engine fluids since my owner manuals and shop manual were written. What do you folks recommend for fluids, for the engine, transmission, brakes, clutch and coolant. Also even though I am not a big fan of them are there additives you would suggest.
Also is there a battery that seem to be a group favorite.

Cheers

------------------
1986 SE in Stoney Creek, Canada

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Geof:

Hi
I am restoring my 1986 SE which I bought new in the fall of 1985 and there been a lot of technology changes in engine fluids since my owner manuals and shop manual were written. What do you folks recommend for fluids, for the engine, transmission, brakes, clutch and coolant. Also even though I am not a big fan of them are there additives you would suggest.
Also is there a battery that seem to be a group favorite.

Cheers

Syncromech for manual tranny (or 5w-30 motor oil)
Everything else is pretty much by the book and hasn't changed. (5w-30 for oil, DOT3 for brakes/clutch, GM-type tranny fluid for auto, green coolant)
No additives

As for the battery, OEM type is fine.

Also, some people will want you to use high zinc oil, but that is up to you. If you are concerned, get high mileage oil. I run Mobil 1 without any issues and have for decades.

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 08-01-2013).]

Ry86GT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ry86GTSend a Private Message to Ry86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most definitely synchromesh in the transmission. It made a massive difference for me.

Brake/clutch fluid you can go from DOT 3 to DOT 4, but do not go to DOT 5. The silicone in DOT 5 is not good for the system if it isn't specifically designed for it and will cause problems.

Use the oil of your choice. I use a high mileage semi-synthetic - Quaker State Defy - but that's a personal preference and almost everyone you talk to will have their favourites and recommend something different.
Geof

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GeofSend a Private Message to GeofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool I can get Syncromech easily in this area. It even carried by my two favorite auto parts stores, and it comes in a easy squirt bottle.

------------------
1986 SE in Stoney Creek, Canada

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock