Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Large A/C hose from rear compartment to front at Accumulator, Low Pressure side?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Large A/C hose from rear compartment to front at Accumulator, Low Pressure side? by hdryder
Started on: 07-30-2013 08:34 PM
Replies: 6 (166 views)
Last post by: hdryder on 07-31-2013 01:48 PM
hdryder

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am in the process of overhauling the A/C system on my '87 GT 5-speed. It probably has not worked for a number of years.
I am replacing the Compressor, Accumulator and O-tube. I also will be flushing the entire system. I have noticed that the large hose (line) from the rear disconnect that runs under the floor pan up into the front compartment, connecting to the Accumulator, has been apparently spliced with a heater type hose or similar, and using hose clamps, next to the brake booster. I believe this hose/line is the Low Pressure side of the A/C system.

Has anyone seen a repair like this on the Low Pressure side that works?

I have a spare hose/line (which is quite long) from my parts car that I can use, but I was hoping to use it on another project in the future.

Can I repair this previously spliced hose/line with a compression fitting, so I can make use of this part, and still be leak free?
Do you think this existing repair can work without leaking?
I am not really excited about evac-ing and charging the system not knowing much about the integrity of this repair.

Thanks for the help.

[This message has been edited by hdryder (edited 07-30-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That will definitely leak. Need to replace the whole line/hose assembly.
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just get a new line made. Take the old line to a shop - they sometimes can use the old fittings if they don't have new in stock. It's money well spent to do both lines at the same time.
hdryder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 05:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What kind of shops make new A/C lines?
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hdryder:

What kind of shops make new A/C lines?

Call around. It will be kind of "hit or miss".
I found a NAPA store near me that had the crimping tool and a guy who knew how to use it.

Sometimes, shops that do hydraulic lines will also do A/C lines.
(OTOH, somebody posted here a couple of months ago that one shop gave him a lot of grief about it. Saying that they didn't do A/C hoses due to EPA considerations. )
hdryder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, great. I will check that out.
I would like to find a source for that, as I have a couple of cars that have some missing lines, and I would like to overhaul the A/C systems in the future.
Thanks for the help!
hdryder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hdryder

674 posts
Member since Apr 2011
I found a local shop here in southeastern Virginia that will do automotive AC hose/line repairs, and probably be able to make new pieces also.
They told me to bring in the hose and most likely they can repair the one I have.

Hampton Rubber
Address: 4571 Village Avenue
Norfolk, VA 23502
Phone: 757-858-1900
Toll Free: 888-275-1115
Fax: 757-858-1924
Email: hrcnorfolk@hamptonrubber.com

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page