Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Water Pump Housing Cracked, common problem?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Water Pump Housing Cracked, common problem? by nilmar1
Started on: 07-29-2013 05:56 PM
Replies: 10 (1005 views)
Last post by: nilmar1 on 07-30-2013 06:32 PM
nilmar1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nilmar1Send a Private Message to nilmar1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello fellow Fiero owners! I have a 1985 SE with a stock 4 Cyl engine. Last year I had to replace the water pump housing, because it was cracked and licking coolant. This year same thing, thanks to the Fiero Factory I had the housing replaced with an used one. But does anyone know if this is a common problem with the Fieros? My car is stock, so I have not lowered the car, and I have not gone over speed bumps or something that would justify cracking the water pump housing twice. I am afraid if it happens again, I might not be lucky and my car may not run anymore.
And by the way, does anyone knows if there is something that can be done to fix a cracked water pump housing, the housing is made of aluminium, so I do not know if this can be soldered or repaired somehow.
Or if there is a replacement made of a different more durable material?
Thank you for your help!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
EvilSqueezles

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Aluminum can be welded just fine if the person knows what they are doing. My opinion is TIG for aluminum. I'm not familiar enough with the 2.5 to give any other info. Someone will be though.

~James
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by EvilSqueezles:

Aluminum can be welded just fine if the person knows what they are doing. My opinion is TIG for aluminum.

Yes, many aluminum alloys can be GTAW (TIG) welded, but warping is often a problem. In the case of a water pump you also need to keep the rubber seals cool while welding. It's just not cost effective to try to weld a cracked water pump, especially when you can buy a new (not rebuilt) one (85 Fiero 4-cylinder) with a lifetime warranty from Rock Auto for less than $25.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 07-29-2013).]

nilmar1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nilmar1Send a Private Message to nilmar1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the replies, just want to clarify, it is not the water pump, the water pump is fine, the cracked part is the water pump housing, the cover that protects the water pump. This part is no longer manufactured by GM and I have not been able to find it anywhere. Like I said, the Fiero Factory, is shipping me the used part, pulled from another Fiero, but this is the second time this has happened to me.
Once I get the replacement, I will try to find a welder and see if he can repair the cracked one, to have as spare. But it looks like I am the only one that has encountered a repetitive problem with the housing being cracked. Thank you for your help,
Nilmar
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post07-30-2013 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check the alignment of your belts. Perhaps something is misaligned? There is quite a bit of torque on the parts.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A picture of the broken part would be most helpful. Is the part load bearing? Maybe the belt was too tight.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nilmar1:

... just want to clarify, it is not the water pump, the water pump is fine, the cracked part is the water pump housing, the cover that protects the water pump.

Sorry, I completely missed that.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some pictures would help...

Old parts could crack because:
Weak/no coolant... either freezing, corrosion, or both. You getting Used part etc.
Missing brackets etc. What I've seen, GM uses steel bracket(s) to support the Al parts. I don't have 84-86 to check.
WP is warped cause uneven load on the housing.
Uneven Torque on bolts for WP or Block can warp/stress Al parts.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

nilmar1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nilmar1Send a Private Message to nilmar1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you all for your help, I will publish a picture of the cracked part for you to see, However it probably will happen this coming Saturday, as I have a friend that will help me replace it then.
Thank you
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a used one, only 2,000 miles on a water pump (no gasket).Its from an 86 GT V6. Any budy know if there the same?
nilmar1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nilmar1Send a Private Message to nilmar1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by James Bond 007:

I have a used one, only 2,000 miles on a water pump (no gasket).Its from an 86 GT V6. Any budy know if there the same?

Thank you, but unfortunately they are not the same.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock