Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  1985 Fiero Horn and Lighter Not Working - is this a Fuse ?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
1985 Fiero Horn and Lighter Not Working - is this a Fuse ? by Bill DeTucci
Started on: 07-29-2013 12:43 PM
Replies: 6 (641 views)
Last post by: olejoedad on 07-29-2013 07:52 PM
Bill DeTucci

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bill DeTucciClick Here to visit Bill DeTucci's HomePageSend a Private Message to Bill DeTucciEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 1985 V6 Fiero the car has been sitting a while. The Dome lights go on. However, the Horn and the Lighter do not work. Is this possibly a Fuse that could be the issue? I checked the Fuse and looks ok and the Dome light works. I thought the Horn, Dome Light, and Lighter work off of One Fuse is this correct?

Anyone thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
92wastheyear

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bill DeTucci:

I have a 1985 V6 Fiero the car has been sitting a while. The Dome lights go on. However, the Horn and the Lighter do not work. Is this possibly a Fuse that could be the issue? I checked the Fuse and looks ok and the Dome light works. I thought the Horn, Dome Light, and Lighter work off of One Fuse is this correct?

Anyone thanks!

Check all the fuses....Fieros are wired weirdly and you get some weird reactions when a fuse blows. The symptoms will show up on other circuits for some reason

Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Horn, radio and radio all are 1 fuse - marked batt I think
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BATT fuse, as Phil said.

Fieros are not wired any differently than any other GM product from the era, nothing weird about them at all.
92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

BATT fuse, as Phil said.

Fieros are not wired any differently than any other GM product from the era, nothing weird about them at all.

Weird enough....I blew that same fuse. Lighter, and stereo stopped working (as you expect) ....dome light stopped work also...lights on front of stereo stayed on all the time(not expected)

85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My SE has the same problem. I ended up running a new wire directly from the battery (with a fuse holder) to the battery power for the radio. I've never been able to find the battery wire for the radio, the one that powers the memory.

You can run a wire from the fuse box for the main power for the radio so that it functions as it should on the accessory circuit. What looks like half a fuse holder is a blade terminal socket. Just plug a male blade terminal in where it says "RADIO" next a half-fuse socket.

At one point I had run a wire from the lighter socket to the memory power for the radio. That worked for about a week. Then it shorted out, blew the fuse, and never worked again.

Some people said the lighter socket itself is the culprit and should be replaced. I disconnected my wire from the socket thinking that was the problem, but it didn't help. Putting a new fuse in just wastes another fuse. The Ogre has a page related to this under ghost power or something like that.

It would be nice to know what's going on...

[This message has been edited by 85 SE VIN 9 (edited 07-29-2013).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The radio has two sources of power, one from the battery for memory, the other is switched. Lose either one and it doesn't work.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock