88 caliper rebuild by 88FieroGT TTops
Started on: 07-28-2013 04:24 PM
Replies: 3 (286 views)
Last post by: cmechmann on 07-29-2013 10:07 PM
88FieroGT TTops

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FieroGT TTopsSend a Private Message to 88FieroGT TTopsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a new (rebuilt) caliper from Delco--went to put on and the seal around the piston popped off the ridge around the piston hole. I have been trying to put on but I get one side and not the other---its not bent or damaged and I don't want to take the part back--any help for snapping the piston seal back on?

------------------
Pat Jones

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
1fast2m4

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just the rubber boot right? it's the air trapped in there that is your enemy, you can carefully use a pick or a paperclip wedged between the piston & the rubber to give the air an escape, then work the seal back in.

------------------
1986 SE 3800SC/4t65eHD (12.871@104.96) I'll Sell it if you like
1985 GT 3800SC (swap in progress)

[This message has been edited by 1fast2m4 (edited 07-29-2013).]

pdemondo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pdemondoSend a Private Message to pdemondoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Easiest way to get that seal on is with a press. You can get a press to do that job at harbor freight.

http://www.harborfreight.co...hop-press-33497.html
cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Find a piece of tubing, pipe, etc. The same size as the seals outside lip.Seal should be the square cut metal ring moulded in rubber with piston lip.
Make sure the tube/pipe is not sharp or contacts the thinner rubber area. You only need around an inch long. Lay caliper on something to keep it straight. Put tube/pipe over seal. lay a small piece of wood over tube. If you can access the wood straight from the outside, just tap down the wood, keeping the tube square to the caliper. If you can't get a straight angle, you can use something to press between the wood and the outside of the caliper. Scissors/X bolt type caliper piston compressor works well. Crude but works.
There are seal drivers just for this, but the diameter is not common. Most are hand/hammer in, just like bearing race drivers.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock