86 2.5L 5 speed tranny removal by crashyoung
Started on: 07-28-2013 11:37 AM
Replies: 2 (100 views)
Last post by: GM Shane on 07-28-2013 09:21 PM
crashyoung

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a problem with my transmission and I would like to remove it.
Is it easier to take it out the top or bottom? If I take it out the top, I pull the engine as well.
But if I take it out the bottom, the engine can stay in?
I have always taken the top route in the past, but I don't have a hoist to do it with this time,
so I was thinking of the bottom route this time.

Opinions, anyone?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jimbolaya

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

but I don't have a hoist to do it with this time,

Well without a hoist, I don't think you are taking it out top or bottom. The engine and tranny sit on a cradle, and it will not come out the bottom unless you drop the cradle, and that's not happening without a hoist. I have heard some people say they have dropped the rear part of the cradle only, (the part nearest the trunk) and then pulled out the tranny through the wheel well. You might be able to do that without a hoist. Through the top is no picnic without a hoist either. I can't see you getting the tranny separated from the engine, and then lifting it out, without the aid of a hoist. I just dropped my sons cradle this weekend, and there is no way in hell I would have done any of it without a hoist.

Jim
GM Shane

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GM ShaneSend a Private Message to GM ShaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been jostling around my Isuzu tranny lately due to clutch problems. What I do is the cradle tip. Remove the drivers side wheel well, disconnect the fuel lines, and any connections near the rear of the engine. Undo the rear cradle bolts. Get a 4x4 board the width of the car and run it from side to side near the rear of the gas tank. Jack it up with a floor jack and pull the tranny through the wheel well.

It's arguably quicker than dropping the cradle, but not by much. I only do it this way because floor space is limited in my shop, so I don't have to move around the cradle. I also don't really trust the trunk latch / hoist style of pulling the cradle.

Good luck! Search "cradle tip" for more information.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock