Started on: 07-27-2013 04:55 PM
Replies: 18 (883 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 10-01-2013 11:06 AM
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What issues will I run into? I'm assuming it's not quite a bolt in. Also, how is the expansion tank plumbed in?

thanx,

Bob
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IFLYR22

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You need the tanks straps and bolts from an 88.

The expansion tank:
Gas Tank vent line to Expansion Tank lower port.
Expansion Tank upper port to Charcoal Canister (where the 84's gas tank's vent line went.).

-Dave
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanx Dave...
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just did this swap. I use Dorman 578-125 Fuel Tank Strap off e-bay (sold in sets only). I have a spare,send me a PM if interested. The pivot pin is bigger and needed to be cut to the width OEM Fiero strap.Even though the pivot pin is thicker, it will fit with some slight modifications (angle grinder and cut off wheels required). I moved the OEM strap "rear" to the front of the new tank. I had to cut that down slightly and drill a new hole. When ready to install, the tank went in so much easyer if you tamp the edges slightly all the way around.
James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check your e-mail...
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
James, thanx for the info and the offer.

I have brand new FS SS straps for the 84-86. I may reuse one of the straps and make a new one for the back, or get two new ones from FS and re-sell these.

I'm repainting the bottom of the car now, so I'm not in any particular hurry.

Bob
James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let me know if you change your mind. Its brand new. I got 2, when I baught the tank strap. I used one and have no need for an extra tank strap (its for the rear tank).
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Started install... Will add pics and thoughts later.

Bob
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2013 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright, tank is in. What a b!$%h!!

This is what I had to do...

The edges of the tank should be rolled in where the mounts on the chassis for the coolant/AC lines run.

The next problem is the straps, as mentioned before. Here's a picture of the Fiero Store straps for both the 84-87, and the 88 (88 of top).

I don't know if I received the wrong ones or what, but the 88's were shorter than the others. I assumed they would be longer.

I ended up using the 84 rear strap (the longest) for the rear. It needed some massaging to barely fit.

Then I used the 88 rear strap for the front. I had to cut-off about 1" and reform/redrill the end.

I've also added the over flow tank and relocated the EVAP canister. I still need to plumb them to the tank.

More pics:

Any questions?

Bob
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2013 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

I've also added the over flow tank and relocated the EVAP canister.

Any questions?

Bob, I'm curious why you relocated the EVAP canister?

I also wonder if its elevation (relative to the fuel tank and/or the overflow tank) might now be an issue in its new location?
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2013 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
I also wonder if its elevation (relative to the fuel tank and/or the overflow tank) might now be an issue in its new location?

No, Above pic EVAP Canister on frame is not ideal.
Does Expansion Tank help that? No clue.

Main difference old vs new tanks is GM redesigned tank's fill and vent tubing. That mean GM's new design has less "air" space when full. The solution move air space to another tank thus the Expansion Tank.

Expansion Tank give more buffer space w/ bigger tank... Full tank + Weather temp changes + fuel is fuel pump coolant + return flow (Especially port injectors setup) etc. mean more heat to tank. Liquid fuel can expand plenty when weather/car heats fuel 30° or more. Much better to have more buffer space to prevent the tank from pushing liquid fuel to the Canister...

If liquid fuel go up the tank's vent line then Will poison the Evap can. You hope all you need to replace the Canister.
problem here is Canister mount low on frame can siphon whatever fuel. Likely won't empty the tank but enough to be dangerous.
The pic also show Exhaust under EVAP Canister... Exhaust heat could damage the plastic Canister. If you leak fuel on exhaust pipe(s)...

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 09-29-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2013 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I moved it because the location on the 84 was in a lousy spot in the engine compartment. With the 4.0 and trans, it's a bit full. I'll re-evaluate the extra drop in height, but unless the overflow fills to the top, it shouldn't siphon. As it was, it would still be lower than the overflow. Where is the 88 canister located?

Thanx for the input, Ogre.

Bob
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2013 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RCR

4397 posts
Member since Sep 2002

I moved it because the location on the 84 was in a lousy spot in the engine compartment. With the 4.0 and trans, it's a bit full. I'll re-evaluate the extra drop in height, but unless the overflow fills to the top, it shouldn't siphon. As it was, it would still be lower than the overflow. Where is the 88 canister located?

Thanx for the input, Ogre.

Bob
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2013 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Where is the 88 canister located?

The EVAP canister is in the same location for all years.
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2013 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The EVAP canister is in the same location for all years.

Picture?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2013 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Picture?

I haven't got a picture of my own handy, but have you not seen an engine bay of an unmolested Fiero? The EVAP canister is in the same place on the driver's side on all of 'em.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Locally built Fiero with a 3800sc, but with the EVAP canister retained in its usual location.

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I haven't got a picture of my own handy, but have you not seen an engine bay of an unmolested Fiero? The EVAP canister is in the same place on the driver's side on all of 'em.

I molested my Fiero about 8 years ago. Haven't really paid attention to the EVAP since...

Thanks for the pic...

Bob

P.S. Isn't the vacuum line missing from the purge valve?

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 10-01-2013).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Isn't the vacuum line missing from the purge valve?

Yes, I'm not sure why... unless he was still in the midst of doing this 3800sc installation and just hadn't reconnected everything at that point.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock