how much trouble would it work 5sp to auto by Lou6t4gto
Started on: 07-27-2013 02:05 PM
Replies: 5 (178 views)
Last post by: Lou6t4gto on 07-30-2013 05:32 PM
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got my 3800SC swap almost done . it's set up on a '86 CRADLE. ('97 3800SC/auto) the notchie I was "planning" to put it in is a '85 4cyl/auto, thing is, the car, JUST as it is, is TOO reliable and the engine has only about 4k miles. I CAN GET a 1988 Notchie (4 cyl 5 speed) really cheap. Will the same engine/trans "Mounts" work in the '88 cradle ? (To Change from stick to Auto)?? Or, would the 88 5 speed "Put Up with" the 3800SC for long ? I really don't want to "Undo" the '85 4 cyl car, It's just too good. Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't know about the mounts but my 85 5 speed put up with my DOHC just fine but then again I did not do a lot (ok NO) clutch dropping starts. The only thing I found on mine was that the spread from 1st to 2nd was pretty big and the shift was 'slow'. I'd be screaming in 1st but by the time I got into 2nd the revs had all dropped off. Your mileage may vary in that respect, that was just my experience. It was nice on the freeway though, nice low rpm at 70 mph but oodles of power to just pull away when needed. I'm sure the Sc would be similar.
Personally, I think that if you've got a good reliable Fiero of any sort, it'd be a shame to spoil that.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only "Down side" of the 4cyl/auto is the 125 trans (doesn't like highway, too high "reving". The 4 sp OD auto will be nice. I never know what I'm going to do until 5 min before I DO it ! LOL
NetCam

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know exactly how you feel. I have an '85 GT with the stock 2.8 and it runs as reliable as any car I've owned. I'm going ahead and taking the plunge to a 3800sc, but the 2.8 is going back into an '86 GT, so at least I know it's going to a good home
EvilSqueezles

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe, from previous inquiries from myself, that the stock v6 manual trans would hold up OK. All be it with a much stronger clutch than stock being necessary. I want to say that the trans/motor mounts are different than the pre 88 cars. I know that when ordering conversion mounts, 84-87 and 88 are 2 seperate listings. Also, the factory fiero auto transmissions will not hold the added HP from the 3800, but I don't know what your plans were there.

Someone with more knowledge may chime in and correct me some here, but I think I'm guiding you in the right direction with that info.

~James
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What I built is a '97 3800SC with 1997 4 sp AUTO trans (not 125). I'm just having a hard time getting myself to "UNDO" the great running 4 cyl/auto that's in it.
I think I'll just keep the 3800 engine/trans wrapped in plastic for awhile and" think on it". Thanks

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock