2005 3.5 Starter comparison to the 1987 2.8 Starter by Inferno
Started on: 07-26-2013 12:32 AM
Replies: 35 (1299 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 05-27-2016 05:33 PM
Inferno

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a complete comparison between a 2005 3.5L Starter from an Impala to my stock 1987 2.8L starter from my Fiero GT

This is the biggest difference between the two starters. The power connections. You will need to use the Stock plug and wires from the 3.2L Starter and splice it into the 2.8L Starter lines.

Stock 2.8L Starter has mounting holes at 3 1/4" on center

3.5L Starter has the mounting holes at 3 1/4" on center

2.8L Starter long bolt carrier length is 3 1/4"

3.5L Starter long bolt carrier length is 3 1/4"

2.8L Starter Snout depth is 2 1/8"

3.5L Starter Snout depth is 1 5/8"

2.8L Starter Snout width is 2 3/4"

3.5L Starter Snout width is 2 3/8"

Now here is the biggest question most may want to know the Weight difference.

2.8L Starter Weight is 13.8 lbs.

3.5L Starter Weight is 6.4 lbs

Thats a weight savings of 7.4 lbs.

I will go back to my shop tomorrow and grab the plug so I can install it into my GT. I will post pics of my process after.

Cheers
BULL
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
great comparison!!! . just 2 ?s. did you fix that oil leak and do you live on a dirt road? Ive seen starters caked up that bad and with the heat in a engine bay like the fiero that starter cant cool off. it holds the heat inside the starter. Leading cause for draging starters is wear from heat. that and bad timing.
Inferno

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually I just bought my first 87 GT two weeks ago, and I have been cleaning it up so I can start to work on it. It does have some major leaks that I have already in the works to fix. As a matter of fact tonight before I removed the starter I sprayed a can of engine cleaner on the bottom of the engine but it only did so much. No BTW I dont live on a dirt road, but where I bought the car was out in the country side along a dirt road.

[This message has been edited by Inferno (edited 07-26-2013).]

dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is my first GT also. I bought mine converted to a crate 3.4 already. My starter is that small but a gear reduction one. The guy i bought it from said he switched it to the Late model Olds starter. Works like a champ too!!
trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are dozens fo starters that fit these things and have been uses over the years. I think that the best advice is that if ti fits use it. Larry

[This message has been edited by trotterlg (edited 07-26-2013).]

Inferno

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok Larry. Years, Makes and models please. That is what I am trying to do here. Give people more information so they can go find one. If you know of some then please share and we can start to build a reference database for everyone to use. ;-)
dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That and if its cheap! Because we do go thru several parts
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Might want to check out this archived thread Here.

I picked up two starters last weekend from the local Pick-a-Part for $17.95 apiece from a couple of 3800 engines, one SC and one NA.

The SC starter (1.7kw) is a tiny bit longer than the NA one (1.5kw).

The NA one will go on my duke, the SC one on my Formula.
Inferno

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks to me that the 3800 starter and the 3.5 starter are the same monsters.
trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think any of the GM starters that use the inline bolt holes will work. That covers a very wide range of vehicles and makers, probably more than can be listed. I think most all of the 3800's will fit, just take a look at one and you can easily tell if it will fit. I have one from a 2000 Buick on my 3100 96 Olds carbed setup now. Larry
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Inferno:

This is the biggest difference between the two starters. The power connections. You will need to use the Stock plug and wires from the 3.2L Starter and splice it into the 2.8L Starter lines.

That looks like a nuisance. The two 3800 starters I picked up did not have a weird wiring terminal like that 3.5 starter.
PFF
System Bot
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used a starter from a 2002 3400, it has the same weight and dimensions, but with normal electrical connections.

You can see a picture of mine on this page of my build thread
//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...1/HTML/071783-2.html
Inferno

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree it will could be a PITA for someone. So what we now know is that the starter is physically the same for the 05 Impala but the connection is different. I would suggest then to people to go with the 3400 or 3800 starters unless a confirmed 3500 starter from a specific line of GM cars can be confirmed.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This version needs a plug.... (Archive version doesn't.)
Try http://www.dormanproducts.com/ for new plug # then order thru many parts stores.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 07-27-2013).]

peteyz24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for peteyz24Send a Private Message to peteyz24Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Might want to check out this archived thread Here.

I picked up two starters last weekend from the local Pick-a-Part for $17.95 apiece from a couple of 3800 engines, one SC and one NA.

The NA one will go on my duke, the SC one on my Formula.

The 1.7kw starters that autozone's website has listed for a 98 grand prix say that they have 11 teeth on the pinion with while the lower powered ones say they have 9. I know the stock fiero has 9. was just wondering if the website is right about the 11 teeth or not. One would think that if the 1.7kw has 11 teeth it wouldnt work.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by peteyz24:

The 1.7kw starters that autozone's website has listed for a 98 grand prix say that they have 11 teeth on the pinion with while the lower powered ones say they have 9. I know the stock fiero has 9. was just wondering if the website is right about the 11 teeth or not. One would think that if the 1.7kw has 11 teeth it wouldnt work.

That's a valid concern, but...

There are several threads here covering the use of 3800 starters on Fiero (2.5 and 2.8) engines. I advise you to look them up for peace of mind, but I recall reading that 11 teeth on the starter was not an issue.

peteyz24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for peteyz24Send a Private Message to peteyz24Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for your reply. I have read a couple of the archived swap threads but niether had discussed the pinion gear tooth difference. I will read some more. Once again, thanks
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed the 1.7 kW starter in my Fiero, and it works great. I didn't take the time to count the gear teeth on the pinion, though.

The archived thread that Patrick posted has a link to my starter install thread, as well.
trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it bolts up it will work. The slop in the teeth on all of these will allow them to be happy. Just take care to shim them properly, that is why they provide the shims. Larry
peteyz24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for peteyz24Send a Private Message to peteyz24Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys. I found a 1.7 at the local recycler for $51. After 28 years I believe my starter has decided it is done living. Cranks the engine fine when its cold, hot it barely turned the engine and overheated the ground cable.
trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The bearing wear out and the parts rub together inside when they get hot. Things will be better now. Larry
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by peteyz24:

I found a 1.7 at the local recycler for $51.

That seems a little high for a used one, but as long as it's good, you're in business.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The starter for a 1998-2000 Grand Am (among other GM cars) can replace a Fiero starter directly, with no change in wiring needed. Here's a comparison picture:

lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 06:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone got a weight difference between the 3500 starter and the older 3400 starters?
Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just tip on how to make Fiero starters last longer. Whereas they are quite close to exhaust components and thus heat, I cover mine with self-stick heat shielding. Jegs and Summit carry the stuff, cost about $9..

peteyz24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 04:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for peteyz24Send a Private Message to peteyz24Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That seems a little high for a used one, but as long as it's good, you're in business.

You are correct. When I stopped in to pick it up it was only $35 with a 60 day warranty. Cheaper than Orielly's core charge on a reman

[This message has been edited by peteyz24 (edited 08-03-2013).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2016 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got a 1.7 kW from a 2006 Grand Prix 3800 S/C
No wiring plug needed. Just wires up as stock.

You have to go by vehicle AND engine.
For the most part, the newer cars up to 2007 with 3800 S/C have the 1.7 kW.
You have to remember the starter is also turning the Supercharger.

AC Delco 336-1915A Rating 1.7 kW
(I counted 9 teeth on the starter gear)
Vehicle list if your shopping at Pick n Pull like me
http://parts-catalog.acdelc...g=5561&parttype=3252

Here's a pic of the 3 different GM starters for comparison - Left to Right.
Stock, a 1.5 kW (11 teeth on pinion gear) and 1.7 kW (9 teeth on pinion gear) I just got which is the smallest.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-26-2016).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2016 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Stock, a 1.5 kW and 1.7 kW (right) which is the smallest.

Tony, I'm just double-checking on that as it doesn't seem to jive with what I found a few years ago (and posted earlier in this thread).

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2016 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

AutoZone shows this 1.5 kW starter with 11 teeth for the NA 3800 2006 Grand Prix
http://www.autozone.com/bat...521_0/?checkfit=true

They also show the smaller style as also being 1.5 kW with 11 teeth for the NA 3800 2006 Grand Prix
http://www.autozone.com/bat...v/108726_23521_7833/

The small one of the 3 pictured below, has 9 teeth on the gear and according to AC Delco is the 1.7 kW for the 3800 S/C 2006 Grand Prix
The middle slightly larger one I got a couple of years ago, has 11 teeth and came from a NA 3800 I believe...

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-28-2016).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2016 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tony, I suppose there could be a variation in size depending on the actual manufacturer. (I can't check them at this point, but I suspect the two starters I pulled at the wreckers a few years ago were both original ACDelco units.)

I just wanted to make sure it wasn't simply a typo that resulted in it being stated that the 1.7kw starter was smaller than the 1.5kw starter.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-26-2016).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2016 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A bit of a tangent...

For the 4.9 folks... find a starter for a 4.5 Allante.
Compared to the stock 4.9 starter, the differences are quite similar to the ones posted above. The wiring will work just fine. It spins the engine much more easily, and consumes less current while doing it. (It also sounds better, if that matters.)

The added benefit is that if you have a manual trans, you do not need to notch the clutch housing for the starter nose. (The Allante starter doesn't have one.)

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 05-26-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2016 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...but I suspect the two starters I pulled at the wreckers a few years ago were both original ACDelco units.
I suppose there could be a variation in size depending on the actual manufacturer.
I just wanted to make sure it wasn't simply a typo that was responsible for it being stated that the 1.7kw starter was smaller than the 1.5kw starter.

I think the smallest units are the "latest design". They have the external case bolts.
The key to getting a 1.7 kW units seems to be getting it from a 3800 S/C engine.
RockAuto shows AC Delco 336-1915A Rating 1.7 kW as the starter for the 2006 Grand Prix 3800 S/C

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-27-2016).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2016 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think the smallest units are the "latest design".

Whether the smallest units are actually newer or stronger or prettier or whatever , the good news is that any of these 1.5kw/1.7kw starters are superior to what originally came on our Fieros. It's a good low cost upgrade, especially when found at the boneyard.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2016 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
50% OFF - Pick n Pull - All Locations
Friday to Monday – May 27-30
http://www.picknpull.com/locations.aspx

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-27-2016).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2016 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

50% OFF - Pick n Pull - All Locations

Difficult to believe that there are no locations close enough to Vancouver to deal with.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2016 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Difficult to believe that there are no locations close enough to Vancouver to deal with.

And we have TWO in Calgary - 15 minutes apart.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-28-2016).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock