R12 Freon in Spokane Area? by NoMoreRicers
Started on: 07-25-2013 08:17 PM
Replies: 9 (827 views)
Last post by: Marvin McInnis on 07-26-2013 11:13 AM
NoMoreRicers

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anybody in Spokane area know of a place that still has R12 for a reasonable price? I will convert to 134a if I can't find someplace that will sell a couple pounds for less than 200 bucks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
R12 is stupid expensive. They don't make it anymore and people who have it think it is gold. I saw a 12oz can on eBay for $100. I don't think it will ever sell, but people can put a price on something and hope it sells. Probably cheaper to just change over to R134. I will say that nothing gets a car colder than R12 (or at least the way I remember it from years ago)...

Edit:
Quick ebay search shows 3 cans at current bid of $16 with $16 shipping. Has to ship ground at 5-12 weeks. WTF. Also says you have to be EPA certified...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/R-1...965800882#vi-content

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread
Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

[This message has been edited by MulletproofMonk (edited 07-25-2013).]

dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post07-25-2013 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Convert. There's no way you're going to do an evac/fill on an R12 system for anywhere near cheap.
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since you're in Spokane, I hope you're going to make it to fiero fest.. Nwfierofest.com
There will be a bunch of us caravanning down on Friday the 9th.

------------------

Build thread for my 88 + 3800NA swap

NoMoreRicers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aaronkoch:

Since you're in Spokane, I hope you're going to make it to fiero fest.. Nwfierofest.com
There will be a bunch of us caravanning down on Friday the 9th.

If I go, it will be just for the day on Saturday. I want to go, but I'm not 100% certain that I will be able to.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MulletproofMonk:
Also says you have to be EPA certified...

Bingo. This is how you get it cheap(er), by buying from sellers who follow the law and only sell to EPA certified individuals. Getting the certification isn't hard or expensive at ~$25ish. I got three 14oz cans off ebay for $60, which is more than enough for the full Fiero 2.5lb charge.

If the system still has R-12 in it and is fully functional, it makes sense to keep it R-12. If the system is empty, it makes more sense to convert it over for ease of serviceability and the cheaper future cost of parts and maintenance. Most shops won't touch an R-12 car because you need separate equipment (recovery machine, gauges, etc) to service them, and any more they're not common enough to justify the cost.
NoMoreRicers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Bingo. This is how you get it cheap(er), by buying from sellers who follow the law and only sell to EPA certified individuals. Getting the certification isn't hard or expensive at ~$25ish. I got three 14oz cans off ebay for $60, which is more than enough for the full Fiero 2.5lb charge.

If the system still has R-12 in it and is fully functional, it makes sense to keep it R-12. If the system is empty, it makes more sense to convert it over for ease of serviceability and the cheaper future cost of parts and maintenance. Most shops won't touch an R-12 car because you need separate equipment (recovery machine, gauges, etc) to service them, and any more they're not common enough to justify the cost.

I would definitely stick with R12 at that price. Both of the AC guys that I talked to today told me that the R12 blows much colder than the new stuff. I've never really needed AC before, but I want it here in Spokane.
dematrix86gt

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
one of the most confiscated items coming across the mexico border besides drugs is R12. its still about 3 bucks a can there.
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NoMoreRicers:

Both of the AC guys that I talked to today told me that the R12 blows much colder than the new stuff.

I find it interesting when even "AC guys" would say that. When I did my Indy, all I did was replace the compressor (which was bad and the reason A/C was not working), the o'rings, flushed the system and jacked with the screw on the low side switch. If I went too far it would freeze up on me. Not sure how R-12 is going to get it any "colder" and do any good. I will admit though, I'm not an AC guy.

Kevin
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MulletproofMonk:

R12 is stupid expensive. They don't make it anymore and people who have it think it is gold.

Not quite so. Yes, by law R-12 has not been manufactured in or imported into the U.S. since 1993, but R-12 stockpiled prior to 1993 or recycled since then is still legal and available. The price of recycled R-12 has actually been dropping over the past few years as older equipment is removed from service and the demand for R-12 recedes. The price of bulk R-12 peaked at more than $80 a pound several years ago, but the last time I checked it was below $50 a pound and falling.

Do be careful buying refrigerants on eBay. A lot of vendors are selling canned propane cleverly labeled to make you think it's either R-12 or some "drop in" replacement for R-12. There is no legal "drop in" substitute for R-12.

Also says you have to be EPA certified...

Yes. To legally purchase R-12 you need to provide proof of either EPA 608 (fixed installations) or EPA 609 (automotive) refrigerant certification. EPA 609 certification only requires that you pass a basic, open-book exam that you can take on-line and print your certificate immediately after passing; the cost is about $20.

I am both EPA 608 and 609 certified and I have a source of recycled R-12 available to me, so that's what I still run in my Fiero.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 07-26-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock