Engine loses power and cannot accelerate by 86Fieroman
Started on: 07-25-2013 12:45 PM
Replies: 14 (279 views)
Last post by: 86Fieroman on 07-31-2013 08:15 AM
86Fieroman

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FieromanSend a Private Message to 86FieromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have looked up many other threads but have t found anything quite the same as the issues I am experiencing. I recently dropped the gas tank out of my car and put it back in just fine. I have done this two times before so I doubt that is the problem but I'm keeping my possibilities open. After putting the tank back in, I drove about ten miles to work with no problem. Then on the way home I started having these issues.
About 7 of the ten miles home the car started to sputter and I lost all power in the engine. Under any attempted acceleration it seemed to strangle the engine even more and it almost dies. I pulled over, shut the car off and then turned it back on and was able to drive home but I noticed a few things. When the engine went over 3000 rpm I lost all power again and it would it accelerate. If I went back under it was fine for a while. I went around the block, so maybe a total of 5 miles since I had turned it off and it went so low I could not accelerate under any rpm limit. I shut it off and turned it back on and it drove up to the house with no problem.
Ever since it seems like I can take shorter and shorter trips with it. I can barely go a mile without this happening. And every time turning it off and back on temporarily fixes the problem. The engine sat an idled for a half hour with no problem, it only seems to do it when there is a load on the engine. I am kind of stumped. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Thank you
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TONY_C

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check your fuel pressure.
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum!

Did you replace the fuel filter? It does sound like a fuel pressure issue.
TONY_C

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had a Duke and V6 both show similar symptoms in the last two years and both cars had weak fuel pumps.
86Fieroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FieromanSend a Private Message to 86FieromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought it sounded like fuel pressure too but I just replaced the fuel pump a few months ago. Could it be problems with the in-line filter because I did not replace that?

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sure could, a plugging up filter.
86Fieroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FieromanSend a Private Message to 86FieromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I guess I will check that out and see if that's the problem
TONY_C

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it a 4 or V6? I ask because the V6 is much easier to check for low fuel pressure, the 4 cylinder doesn't have a schrader valve and requires you to make a tee to put the gauge inline.
86Fieroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FieromanSend a Private Message to 86FieromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is a v6, how do I check that and where? Do I just need to buy the right gauge and it will tell me? And I just got the inline fuel filter out, it is quite dirty and the gas that goes in comes out brown and does not flow through well at all. I will be buying a new one of those soon and see how that helps.
TONY_C

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
change the fuel filter first. On the V6, there is a port for a fuel gauge. It is located at the front of the engine, almost at the centerline of the block. You will see a cap on a Schrader vale on the fuel rail. It's not the easiest thing to describe the location, maybe someone will post up a pic but it sounds like you certainly need to change the fuel filter first.
86Fieroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FieromanSend a Private Message to 86FieromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I will be changing that when I get the part tomorrow probably. I did find the valve you described too so I will check the pressure after the filter is back in.
PFF
System Bot
TONY_C

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
when you turn on the key you should have about 40 psi, I think 38-44psi is the range.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86Fieroman:

And I just got the inline fuel filter out, it is quite dirty and the gas that goes in comes out brown and does not flow through well at all. I will be buying a new one of those soon and see how that helps.

I think you mentioned having the tank dropped a few times, was your tank rusty inside? Brown gas or flakes and stuff in it? I had a tank that plugged a filter every few months, eventually I replaced the tank. Thats probably rare though.
86Fieroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FieromanSend a Private Message to 86FieromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The first time I dropped the tank it was quite dirty since the car had been sitting for 12 years. I cleaned and flushed it and it was fine. After dropping it last time there were only some rust flakes in the tank which I imagine came from the return line considering the tank was cleaned. Those pieces wouldn't fit through the original in tank filter though so I doubt that is the problem. The inline filter has not been replaced in I don't know how long, maybe never, so I will replace that and if I have the problem again with the filter clogged then I will have to look into that.
86Fieroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FieromanSend a Private Message to 86FieromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the quick replies. After replacing the fuel filter the car runs great again.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock