What parts are needed to convert Notchback bumpers to GT bumpers by ggfoster
Started on: 07-24-2013 08:23 PM
Replies: 7 (316 views)
Last post by: Fiero84Freak on 07-26-2013 08:16 AM
ggfoster

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ggfosterSend a Private Message to ggfosterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys,

I have all the quarter panels/bumpers/ground effects for the "lower half" of a gt (I want to leave it a notchback but have gt ground effects). What parts do I need to switch the front and rear bumpers out? I know I'll need the gt egg crates but I'm not sure what else I need to get a hold of and are there any holes that need to be drilled anywhere? Thanks in advanced everyone
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 02:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wheel well liners on front are different I know not sure bout the rear and the splash guards around the radiator and egg create should be it I believe... You will have to drill holes to attach the lower door moldings and piece for lower front fender...

------------------

87 GT
series 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar
86GT 3800 n/a

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it would help to know the starting vehicle. You really want what is called the AERO package.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You'll need the rocker panels also. Not sure if that is what you menat by "ground effects" above.

------------------
Jonathan

'68-69 GTO Nose - The Project has Begun!
My '85 L67 Build Thread

ggfoster

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ggfosterSend a Private Message to ggfosterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Starting is a 1987 notchie 2.5

Yes rocker panels lol I went brain dead when I was writing and could not for the life of me remember proper terminology.

Jaski could you elaborate more on what the aero package is please. I did a quick search but I don't understand if that is the same or different from a gt as far as body panels are concerned and if I'll be able to use parts I already have. Thanks!
Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a difference. The "aero" package and "GT" package looks the same at first glance but they are different.

First is the rear fascia. On the "GT" model - that is all fastback GTs - the molding is rounded. On the far right corner will be a "GT" emblem that can be removed. On the "aero" cars - this is 1984 Indy, 1985 GT, 1986 SE and 1987 SE cars, the molding is ribbed, so it will not match what you have on your car now. You can also tell the difference because on all of the ribbed rear fascias "PONTIAC" is molded into the middle of the fascia below the lights. Rounded molding rear fascias do not have "PONTIAC" on them.

For the front fascia, it is mostly the same from "aero" to "GT" in overall design. However, since the ribbed molding cars were built originally and the rounded molding cars built later, the rounded molded trim fascias you can remove the belt line entirely. You cannot do this with a ribbed "aero" front fascia. The forward most triangle and the back portion between the side marker and the fender are molded into the fascia. Sinced the rounded markers are different from the molded markers in length, the only way to properly install rounded markers and moldings on a "aero" front is to cut the ribbed molding off.

The ground effects along the doors and rockers are the same regardless of "aero" or "GT". You can interchange them freely, but there will be some variances in colors depending on the donor car.

Of note is that the SE cars for 1984 and 1985 will be bumper pad cars (non-Indy for 1984). Since the fastback came in 1986, Pontiac/GM decided to keep the notchback "aero" body style and use it as a 1986 SE. Also of note, the 1987 SE was the last Fiero model built with ribbed moldings. No 1988 model had ribbed moldings.

Here's a very short checklist:

You have a 1987 notchback. You need rounded moldings for the fascias to match the belt line you have now.

"Aero" cars with ribbed moldings.
- 1984 Indy
- 1985 GT
- 1986 SE
- 1987 SE

Rounded molding cars ("GT"-style moldings)
- 1986 GT
- 1987 GT
- 1988 GT

[This message has been edited by Fiero84Freak (edited 07-25-2013).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The problem with saying "GT" is that the 85GT has the AERO panels.

Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know I hate that nomenclature when referring to the body panels that way, but so many people refer to the rounded panels like that as "GT" I've just kind of called it the same over the years.

A really detailed on-line "spotter's guide" would be REALLY nice to have when questions like these arise.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock