EGR tube studs/bolts. by Heretic
Started on: 07-24-2013 05:15 AM
Replies: 5 (1191 views)
Last post by: Ry86GT on 07-25-2013 03:47 PM
Heretic

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 05:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HereticSend a Private Message to HereticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Replacing the EGR tube on my 86 GT, the nuts were pretty rusty. I sprayed some pb blaster on them and let them soak. I got one of the nuts off, but when I went to take the second off the whole stud unscrewed from the egr valve.

I've tried everything to get the nut off the stud and in the process, I've damaged the threads. Wondering if I could just replace the stud/nut combo with a stainless bolt? Also, what size would it be?

Thanks,

Chris

------------------
86 GT

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The P22 doesn't list the specifics about the stud dimensions, but it's almost certainly an M8 X 1.25 on both ends. You can double check by eyeballing the major diameter of the threads against a ruler and if it measures 8 mm in diameter, then the threads are going to be 1.25 pitch. For the length, you should be able to measure it directly. If all else fails you could try the dealership... the stud part number is 10034956.
EvilSqueezles

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also lots of hardware stores have small boards with miscellaneous nuts and bolts on them to find the size you need. Could just see which one matches up if you have any thread left on the end. Not sure where you marred the threads though...

~James
88FieroGT TTops

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FieroGT TTopsSend a Private Message to 88FieroGT TTopsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I broke both of my studs off--after having them extracted, I took the base unit to home depot and the guy there helped to get a set of bolts (no more stud/nut combo)--painted with ceramic paint and anti-seized the threads for just in case--the bolt is what bloozeberry said

------------------
Pat Jones

[This message has been edited by 88FieroGT TTops (edited 07-25-2013).]

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the only purpose of one side having a stud was for holding the tube gasket in place while installing the tube. Replacing the stud with a standard bolt like on the other side isn't going to hurt anything. It just may take a little more work to get it on (you'll have to feed the bolts through the EGR tube, then use the protrusions to hold the gasket). Otherwise I don't see any issues.
Ry86GT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ry86GTSend a Private Message to Ry86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As said above if you want you can remove that whole egr tube adapter if you remove the egr valve first... It will just slide off exactly the same way that the egr valve does. You may have the same issue with those nuts/studs as well though.

Only warning I have is that I could not buy the gasket that goes under that adapter locally. Luckily mine was in good shape so I re-used it with a little bit of copper gasket-maker. No problems yet. All other gaskest (egr tube and egr valve) were available over the counter.

It's nice to see a neighbour on the boards (maybe literally?)

We're in the same town lol.

[This message has been edited by Ry86GT (edited 07-25-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock