V8 overheating issue/how to burp with electric pump by redhammer
Started on: 07-23-2013 06:01 PM
Replies: 10 (428 views)
Last post by: olejoedad on 07-24-2013 08:36 AM
redhammer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redhammerSend a Private Message to redhammerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi everyone. My car is a v8 diablo replica and yesterday it overheated due to water pump being disconnected due to wire being pulled from the fuse box.
My cooling set up is one 4 core radiator with a fan in the front and 2 four core radiators in the rear with 2 fans.
Yesterday my car overheated and started leaking coolant from some hoses, fans wouldn't turn on and I initially though i had electrical problem but it turned out the water was not flowing thru the system so the temperature in the rear never got high enough for the fans to kick in(has thermostat with sensor on it).
After I reconnected the water pump everything went back to normal I drove the car for a little , temp at 180, fans turned on after a while and turned off, all ok. But then it started overheating again. My friend thinks it created air pocket due to overheating yesterday and needs to be burped. He said I need to raise the front of the car and keep filling running the car like that until all air is bled out. Should I raise the front or rear, what is the easiest way to do it, my car has electric water pump, can i bleed it without turning the car on? there is radiator filler cap in the rear engine compartment. Any help is appreciated!

[This message has been edited by redhammer (edited 07-23-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Buy an Airlift 550000?
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you FILLING the system at the engine or at the radiator ? You should be filling it at the Engine. the engine is the highest point, so the air will travel to it. if you try to burp it, (filling at the radiator) you will never get it burped.
rcp builders

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rcp buildersSend a Private Message to rcp buildersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What does your thermostat housing look like? I have the moroso with a radiator cap on it and an
overflow tube that runs to a catch can. I fill that can up after filling the system.
Then run it for a couple heat cycles, and shut it down and it will actually draw from the can
any coolant that it needs. After it sits for an hour she is as full as it gets and the fluid in the
jug stays at a level equal to the top of the Moroso housing. Ray

85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How did you fill it the first time? It sounds like whatever you did then worked then and probably will now.
redhammer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redhammerSend a Private Message to redhammerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was told to jack the front up, but that would make the front radiator the highest point. I think I should fill it from the engine and that side should be jacked up?
My car is not low on coolant so I think just filling the overflow it won't make the air come out. Can anyone tell me a easy procedure to burp the system, should I leave the filler cap off while the car is running? Won't it shoot coolant out of it ones the electric water pump turned on? That's what happened this morning when I was trying to reconnect the water pump, I left the cap open and sooner I plug the water pump wire in the fuse box it started pushing coolant out all over the engine .
redhammer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redhammerSend a Private Message to redhammerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

redhammer

22 posts
Member since Nov 2010
rcp builders

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rcp buildersSend a Private Message to rcp buildersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by redhammer:

I was told to jack the front up, but that would make the front radiator the highest point. I think I should fill it from the engine and that side should be jacked up?
My car is not low on coolant so I think just filling the overflow it won't make the air come out. Can anyone tell me a easy procedure to burp the system, should I leave the filler cap off while the car is running? Won't it shoot coolant out of it ones the electric water pump turned on? That's what happened this morning when I was trying to reconnect the water pump, I left the cap open and sooner I plug the water pump wire in the fuse box it started pushing coolant out all over the engine .

Your car is "LOW" on coolant that's why you have air in the system and have to burp it.
If you were to jack up the front, making the radiator and overflow the highest point, my method would work the same.
Air will travel to the highest point and pressure will build in your system opening your cap and releasing air. When you then shut the engine off and let it sit it will draw from the overflow to fill the system. Ray
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The system will self burp as long as you keep fluid in the overflow tank.
Air in the engine will be carried to the radiator (fills at the top, exits at the bottom forming a trap), and the overflow system will bleed the air and vacuum upon cooling will draw in coolant.
Be sure the hose from the radiator cap to the overflow tank is leakfree, securely connected and the tank is about halfway full with the system cool.
redhammer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redhammerSend a Private Message to redhammerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, do I need to have the car running to reach operating temperature or I can just run the electric water pump independently without starting the car to bleed the air out? Is there any tutorial/step by step for bleeding with electric pump? I'm not to mechanically inclined so I apologize if my questions sometimes don't make sense.Thank you
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The pump alone will move water and some air, but will not bleed the air into the expansion tank (no expansion due to heat).

A series of short drives or periods of idling to get heat into the system will work better.

Heat equals expansion, the air in the top of the radiator is pushed into the expansion tank, it vents to atmosphere, cooling equals contraction, pulling fluid into the radiator from expansion tank to restore proper coolant level in the system.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock