deck lid hinge removal help by jon m
Started on: 07-23-2013 04:18 PM
Replies: 6 (1044 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 07-25-2013 12:45 PM
jon m

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So today I have started to try and align up my decklid as the passenger side has never been right ( BTW 1987 fastback )
I first started on the deck lid grille which was slightly lower and have that pretty good now with the inner side of the quater window panel.

what my problem is - that the passenger side deck lid hinge needs to go down about 3mm which the hinge is bottomed out.

so my thinking is to remove the offending hinge and make the bolt holes at the top end 3mm bigger.

any help would be welcomed as I believe the torsion bars can be a scary experience.

jon
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post07-23-2013 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got a pic of the issue?

Bump...
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You always want to unhook the deck lid from the hinge, not the hinge from the body.

I found that if I just loosened the nuts on the body side of the hinge and applied a mini-sledge, that it settled enough to do the job. If you slide the slots upward, you may be able to get a dremel tool in there, one slot at a time, and grind the slots upward.

On balance, it is better to align the grill with the deck lid, not the reverse.

Arn
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Be careful of the trunk lid torsion springs. If they come loose, you lost your back window and maybe get some broken bones. Theres a ton of pressure on them.
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Be careful of the trunk lid torsion springs. If they come loose, you lost your back window and maybe get some broken bones. Theres a ton of pressure on them.

I agree. I placed a piece of plywood in the back window,while installing a body kit and allmost busted out the rear window and that was with plywood.
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How to align a Fiero decklid:
1) Remove the latch loop from the trunk.
2) Remove the engine vents.
3) Loosen the bolts on the firewall & center the front of the decklid & adjust up or down to fit flush with the body panels (& tighten the bolts of course).
4) Loosen the bolts on the decklid & adjust to fit square in the hole & flush with the rear 1/4 panels & tighten the bolts. If this moves it over to one side go back to step 3. Sometimes you have to go back & fourth a couple times to get everything perfect.
5) Re-install the latch loop & adjust so that the decklid closes properly & it doesn't change the alignment.
6) Re-install the vents.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Instructions and diagrams from Service Manual here:
Sometimes a picture is worth 1000 words.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-1-077596.html

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-28-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock