Mike's Lambo Build by mkman
Started on: 07-23-2013 04:11 PM
Replies: 80 (13733 views)
Last post by: Neils88 on 05-23-2015 08:23 PM
mkman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mkmanSend a Private Message to mkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It has been about two months since I started my project, so I figured it was time to start a build thread.

In the past, I built a Lamborghini Diablo replica kit from NAERC on a stretched 84 fiero with a V8 Archie SBC kit and big brakes kit. Unfortunately I lost this car in 2011 during the flooding due to tropical storms in our area. The car was completely under water for three days.

Here is a pic of what it looked like:

I am now building a replica Lamborghini Aventador, not from a kit, but building the body from scratch. It will be on a stretched 85 fiero with a 3800sc and a f40 6 speed.

Here is a picture of a real Aventador that I am styling after:

The first step is to build a "plug". This is a full size mock-up of the body. It will be used to make the molds from. Made from plywood and body filler.
In this stage I call it my "Lumberghini".

The plug needs to be finished smooth, any imperfections in the plug will transfer into the mold. Here it is after bodywork and primer:

A fiberglass mold is then made on the plug:

When the mold is released, it is a "negative" of the actual part:

The part is then made from the mold, using gel coat and fiberglass. Here are three finished parts that I have made so far. Two fenders, and a hood:

I am working on the front bumper next, I will post more as progress continues.
Feel free to comment, I like to here other peoples ideas and opinions.

[This message has been edited by mkman (edited 07-23-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks great.
Having worked on smaller projects using wood and filler I can just imagine what a whole body takes in labor.
mkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mkmanSend a Private Message to mkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the front bumper made last night. Here is a pic of the front end with the bumper:
NoMoreRicers

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mkman:

Clever!

It's looking good.
92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NoMoreRicers:

Clever!

It's looking good.

Other Lumbergh <<<< (Office Space referrence)
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great start up thread! Of course threads like these always make us beg for more pictures and info though Here's a bunch of questions I hope you can expand upon:

How did you get from a flat plywood skeleton to those lovely complex curved fenders? Surely it can't all be filler. Any pictures of the process? What filler are you using?

Are you simply using your artistic ability to eyeball the symmetry of the curves from one side to the other or do you have another method?

Most of us realize that building the exterior to look like something else is the fun part, but the "down -in-the-ditches" part is making those outer skins fit the Fiero chassis underneath and still pull-off the look. Are you just making the outer skins for now and working on fitting them later or do you have some other plan?

What windshield are you using?

What wheelbase and track are you working with?

Once you start a thread like this it's like a living thing... you have to feed it regularly!

mkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mkmanSend a Private Message to mkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

How did you get from a flat plywood skeleton to those lovely complex curved fenders? Surely it can't all be filler. Any pictures of the process? What filler are you using?

Are you simply using your artistic ability to eyeball the symmetry of the curves from one side to the other or do you have another method?

Most of us realize that building the exterior to look like something else is the fun part, but the "down -in-the-ditches" part is making those outer skins fit the Fiero chassis underneath and still pull-off the look. Are you just making the outer skins for now and working on fitting them later or do you have some other plan?

What windshield are you using?

What wheelbase and track are you working with?

Here are a few answers to your questions:

Yes the curved portions of the fenders are mostly bondo, shaped by hand.

The symmetry from side to side is done by making two identical pieces of plywood, a left and a right, then positioning them measuring off the wooden support structure. Center line was marked out using a rotary laser. For the curved areas, it is mostly done by sight and feel, and a few measurements here and there.

I will "fit" the body after it is complete. I am attaching aluminum angle to the back side of the body panels to use as mounting points later. I will just have to weld supports off the fiero frame.

The windshield is a 94 honda accord 2 door. It is almost a perfect match to the lambo.

Wheelbase will be 101.5", not exact to the real lambo, but will work well for the fiero dimensions with a 8" frame stretch done in the passenger area. this will locate the firewall in the perfect place for the body. I don't have figures for "track" yet, but there will be some widening involved. The overall width at the front axle is 72", and the rear is 75". Wheel offset, brake setup, and bolt pattern adapters will all effect how much I will need to widen the suspension.

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow... this is an ambitious project! ...making panels from scratch, stretching the frame 8", chopping the roof, new suspension, all new glass, 3800sc with F40... I've subscribed. How long have you been at it so far?
mkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mkmanSend a Private Message to mkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How long have you been at it so far?

I started building the wooden body 2 months ago, I started the first fiberglass pieces about 2 weeks ago.

I still have more work to do one the wooden structure before I can make anymore fiberglass parts. Door skins will be next, then side skirts, rear quarter panels, rear bumper, engine cover, and roof. After the body is mounted to the chassis, I will start making interior parts.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know what your ambition will be after you complete this car for yourself, but if you decide to upgrade the molds into high grade tooling molds, you may have a nice small business on your hand. The Aventador kit car market's current state is dismal. Either the cars look nothing like the real thing or the segment is littered with frauds & scams. With the Aventador being such a desireable car among the automotive populace, people will pay good money for a well-tooled Aventador body. My only obvious concern would be Lambo themselves coming after you since you are replicating a currently-produced car, but if you're willing to take that risk you could probably produce a good handful of bodies from a higher grade tooling mold and sell them for a whole lot more than what current kit car bodies go for.

The plug looks superb though. You have some serious skills. Very much looking forward to the rest of the process, and I know you'll do a superb job, yourself not being new to kit cars so you probably already have a very good idea of the intricacies involved in one's construction.
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you belong to the Lambo clone forum? The old kit car forum (mad mechanics) lost most of it's Lambo builders to the clone forum. The best looking build, Murci me, has now been banned from the Lambo clone forum too. People just seem to get into big arguments for no reason. You have impressive body skills. The best Murci body's were from John Watson who splashed his parts from an actual Lambo. That's how he did his 355 Ferrari body's too. Expensive to acquire the real body parts for replication though.
PFF
System Bot
mkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mkmanSend a Private Message to mkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did not know about the other forums. Thanks for the info, I just joined madmechanics.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lets get to the important stuff here........how much is this body kit going to cost me?
Shonyman32

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Less than a real Aventador.
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Excellent progress, you sir have some skills . Eagerly awaiting updates! Sorry to hear about the Diablo though, shame.
XThirtySeven

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2013 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XThirtySevenSend a Private Message to XThirtySevenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Updates

------------------
I bought a Fiero because my friends said I shouldn't.

mkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2013 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mkmanSend a Private Message to mkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been busy at work for the past couple months, so not as much progress as I would have liked. Still working on making fiberglass pieces. I have the door skins made, and now have molds made for the side skirts/door sills. I will post some pics as soon as I get a couple more parts made. Next will be the rear quarters, then the deck lid, and the rear bumper. That will take a few more months, after that I will start on the chassis modifications.
mkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2013 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mkmanSend a Private Message to mkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update:
Here are a few pics of the body parts I have made so far:

I am working on the rear deck lid today, hopefully the rear bumper in a week or two.
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2013 07:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good! I'm impressed with your skills and all the progress you've made in such a short time.
mkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2013 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mkmanSend a Private Message to mkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pulled the deck lid out of the mold this morning, here is a pic:

Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2013 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
awesome work thus far. keep it up.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
kwagner

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2013 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lookin good! More pics Always love watching builds like this!

What was the eventual fate of your diablo replica?

[This message has been edited by kwagner (edited 11-18-2013).]

mkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2013 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mkmanSend a Private Message to mkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kwagner:

What was the eventual fate of your diablo replica?

I sold the Diablo to a local guy who is trying to fix it. He is having all kinds of issues, exactly why I decided to get rid of it.
mkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2014 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mkmanSend a Private Message to mkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got a bit of work done since my last update:

Finished the 8" frame stretch and extra reinforcing for removal of roof.
Started to get the brake upgrade fitted up.
started rough fitment of body panels.

Here are a few pics.

BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2014 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where did you find the drawings for this? This is a very cool build for sure!

[This message has been edited by BrittB (edited 01-26-2014).]

pgold

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2014 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pgoldSend a Private Message to pgoldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
we need to be friends. Hi I'm paul gold i am one of the founding members of D&R replicar. I currently have a 6.0 diablo replica built on a 88 formula GT. My next project I'm currently working on is the Lamborghini Veneno Replica in which i to will be fabricating the body. Yes a huge undertaking but working at D & R i will also be utilizing my fiberglassing skills. Your work looks great and is inspiring. Good luck. Im here in Las vegas so if you are ever here let me know.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2014 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't believe you just glossed over all the important stuff! I think there are lots of us that would like to know and see what you did to stretch and reinforce the frame.
mkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mkmanSend a Private Message to mkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I can't believe you just glossed over all the important stuff! I think there are lots of us that would like to know and see what you did to stretch and reinforce the frame.

Sorry about that, wasn't sure how much interest there would be. Here is what I did.

First I built a frame jig out of some 1.5" C-channel, made sure it was square and level. Then I placed the fiero on the jig and bolted the front of the car to it.
I made some C-channel brackets that would slide front to back on the jig, and temporarily welded them to the back section of the car. This would now allow me to cut the car in half, then slide the rear section back, while keeping everything level and keep the two halves lined up.

Here is a pic with the roof cut off, and the car cut in half.

After the cut was made, I removed the rocker panel area and front and rear pillars from the frame.

The next pic shows the new rectangle steel I added to reinforce the frame. The red arrow is 5" x 2" main beam, the yellow arrow is a 3.5" x 3.5" front pillar, the blue arrows are 3" x 2" welded to the upper portion of the rear frame, and one going across the car that ties the main beams together. The cut area was then filled with 16ga sheet metal.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is impressive, I assume you dont just work on this in afternoons and weekends!?
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sorry about that, wasn't sure how much interest there would be. Here is what I did.

That's better. I would bet that there are as many of us interested in the chassis mods as there are in the body mods. Keep them coming!
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's better. I would bet that there are as many of us interested in the chassis mods as there are in the body mods. Keep them coming!

Yep.

Bob
PFF
System Bot
VF1Skullangel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2014 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VF1SkullangelClick Here to visit VF1Skullangel's HomePageSend a Private Message to VF1SkullangelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:

Do you belong to the Lambo clone forum? The old kit car forum (mad mechanics) lost most of it's Lambo builders to the clone forum. The best looking build, Murci me, has now been banned from the Lambo clone forum too. People just seem to get into big arguments for no reason.

That's cause Eddie is over there starting s__t with people and apparently he's got higher ups to back him up.....

He complains about people not building anything yet non evidence of his 5 proclaimed builds....

jschmidt95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2014 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jschmidt95Send a Private Message to jschmidt95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is awesome! Maybe a dumb question, But are you building your doors from scratch? or extending the Fiero doors somehow?
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2014 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is great work! I'll be watching closely since I'm getting ready to work on my Murcielago project. Just doing the engine swap into my 88 right now. Taking things slowly, in stages, so I get it done right. I love that you took the time to make the molds yourself.

Couple of questions...

-You chose to make smaller individual panels rather than larger panels (such as the full front as a single molding). Any particular reason or just easier to handle the molds? Are you worried about alignment issues?
-You chose to do the stretch in the passenger compartment instead of stretching the engine bay (cradle). Any reason to chose this method? You get more leg room, but I'm 6' and have tons of room in the Fiero as it is. I plan on stretching my cradle, since that gives me some extra space in the engine compartment which is better for air flow around the 4.9 (and the eventual turbo). I would also normally worry about the structural integrity for a stretch in the cabin, but I think you've done a great job of stiffening the cut so no issues there.
mkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2014 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mkmanSend a Private Message to mkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2.5 - I usually only get weekends to work on the car. My job and family have my weekdays pretty full.

jschmidt95 - i am building doors from scratch, using glass, window motor/tracks from a 99 2 door saturn.

Originally posted by Neils88:

Couple of questions...

-You chose to make smaller individual panels rather than larger panels (such as the full front as a single molding). Any particular reason or just easier to handle the molds? Are you worried about alignment issues?
-You chose to do the stretch in the passenger compartment instead of stretching the engine bay (cradle). Any reason to chose this method? You get more leg room, but I'm 6' and have tons of room in the Fiero as it is. I plan on stretching my cradle, since that gives me some extra space in the engine compartment which is better for air flow around the 4.9 (and the eventual turbo). I would also normally worry about the structural integrity for a stretch in the cabin, but I think you've done a great job of stiffening the cut so no issues there.

I am new to fiberglass forming, I was trying to break up the work into smaller more manageable pieces. I found the bumpers to be a challenge due to the complex shape, I'm not sure if I could have handled a full front clip in one piece. Alignment may be a challenge, but I might bond the panels together to ease this.

My last kit car was stretched in the engine bay, this is great when a larger engine or turbo set up is being installed. I will be installing a 3800sc, very common install for stock fieros, so no fitment issues there. My diablo kit actually was tight for anyone over 6', I am 5' 5" and fit perfectly into that car. From doing stretches using both methods, I would say that the passenger compartment is easier to keep the two halves of the car aligned correctly. Also, if you are making a car with a removable roof, you will need to support the passenger compartment anyway.
mkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2014 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mkmanSend a Private Message to mkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mkman

60 posts
Member since Jul 2013

Originally posted by BrittB:

Where did you find the drawings for this? This is a very cool build for sure!

I did not have drawings or plans. This is where people usually get a chuckle - I used a set of digital calipers and took measurements off a 1:18 scale die cast model, then upscaled the dimensions.
mkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mkmanSend a Private Message to mkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This weekend was spent mostly making mounts for the rear panels of the car.

I did start to get the front bumper fitted up. Not mounted yet, but seeing it lined up is good inspiration to keep going.

Hopefully more progress to share soon.
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am going to feel good just being able to get my engine dropped and cleaning up the framing. I'm jealous of your skills
mkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 07:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mkmanSend a Private Message to mkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is an update on recent progress.

Got the front bumper mounted to the car.
Built a windshield frame from square tubing.
Purchased some leather racing seats.
Mounted a new steering column and steering wheel.
Built a "roll bar" from square tubing.

Here are a few pics:

BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I did not have drawings or plans. This is where people usually get a chuckle - I used a set of digital calipers and took measurements off a 1:18 scale die cast model, then upscaled the dimensions.

Nice, I've heard of people doing this before but I've never seen it in action!

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock