Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Where can I get a quality manual flywheel for my 3.4DOHC?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Where can I get a quality manual flywheel for my 3.4DOHC? by sspeedstreet
Started on: 07-22-2013 09:48 PM
Replies: 5 (312 views)
Last post by: sspeedstreet on 07-23-2013 03:28 PM
sspeedstreet

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All I can find is cheap Chinese made. Where can I find a steel or better quality iron flywheel?

~Neil
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 07:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I did mine I got an 88 Fiero flywheel gt from GMPARTSDIRECT. No idea on country of origin though.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would try to save your current flywheel.

The aluminum likely "creeped" into the gap between the bolt hole walls the the crankshaft flange bolts. You can greatly reduce the chance of that happening again if you press steel sleeves into the bolt holes. The sleeves would need to be about 1/32" shorter than the hub thickenss to ensure you clamp the alumimum and don't bottom out on the sleeves. Once done, the sleeves would support the walls of the bolt holes and greatly reduce the chance for any further creep.

I would also try to find some hardened washers that will fit in the resessed bores. These washers would spread the contact load across a larger area vs the small stepped ring on the underside of the bolt head. Just need to check for clearance between the bolt heads and the clutch disk hub.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 07-23-2013).]

sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:
I would try to save your current flywheel.

The aluminum likely "creeped" into the gap between the bolt hole walls the the crankshaft flange bolts. You can greatly reduce the chance of that happening again if you press steel sleeves into the bolt holes. The sleeves would need to be about 1/32" shorter than the hub thickenss to ensure you clamp the alumimum and don't bottom out on the sleeves. Once done, the sleeves would support the walls of the bolt holes and greatly reduce the chance for any further creep.

I would also try to find some hardened washers that will fit in the recessed bores. These washers would spread the contact load across a larger area vs the small stepped ring on the underside of the bolt head. Just need to check for clearance between the bolt heads and the clutch disk hub.

This was my first thought when I saw the damaged holes from the loosened flywheel. The different expansion rates of the two metals would make this tricky, tho. Plus, the 1/32" gap would still give a place for the aluminum to flow to.

My current idea would be to bore out the holes to the recess's diameter, press in aluminum sleeves and turn the faces flat. This would eliminate the recessed holes and allow for an AT backing plate to be used to spread the clamping load. Then I could use star washers or tabs or whatever to keep the heads from turning.

Bruce

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check to see if the flywheel you need is the same as the stock '88 (internally balanced). If so, I have an extra you can have at no charge. It was made by Beck / Arnley.
bb
sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bruce:

Check to see if the flywheel you need is the same as the stock '88 (internally balanced). If so, I have an extra you can have at no charge. It was made by Beck / Arnley.
bb

Bruce, I sent you a PM.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock