"thunking" sound when headlights retract by Bruce
Started on: 07-22-2013 01:55 PM
Replies: 5 (150 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 07-22-2013 05:08 PM
Bruce

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My headlight motors work fine, but when I turn them off, the driver's side seems to be catching on something momentarily. I can't see any obstructions, so I'm wondering if you guys have any idea(s) what it may be hitting.
Thanks!
bb
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
PatrickTRoof

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm having the same problem on both sides. It's to the point where I just unplugged the motors and leave them up. Rebuild?
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would bet you have the pre-87 motors. The symptoms you describe are indicative that the rubber bump stops (shock absorbers, so to speak) inside the motor have disintegrated. This will eventually lead to failure of the gears as the hard stop will strip the teeth off the gears. The bump stops fill up a space between the gear and the drive plate. When they crumble, there is about 3/4 inches of play between the drive plate and gear.

Time for a rebuild.

Self promotion---I rebuild Gen. 1 headlight motors.
Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you send me the removal instructions, I'll send you the motor.
The passenger side was rebuilt and is fine.
How much is the rebuild, shipping, etc.?
Thanks!
bb
Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bruce

2189 posts
Member since May 99
P.S. Do you use Rodney's brass gears and other motor rebuild parts?
b
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rebuild is $30 labor plus parts, plus shipping, which usually is around $15 for USPS Priority Mail with tracking. I will use any gears you specify. If you want, you can order the gears and have them shipped to me. That way there's no markup on the gears. No payment is required until the motors ship.

I accept PayPal.

PM sent.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock