87 GT Speedo pegged above 120. by EvilSqueezles
Started on: 07-21-2013 03:20 PM
Replies: 6 (234 views)
Last post by: EvilSqueezles on 07-22-2013 09:19 PM
EvilSqueezles

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got my car running after it has sat for 4 years. Complete cradle drop, engine swap, dropped the tank and rubberized the outside of it. Enough with that though. I have a couple of electrical woes... my speedo is maxed out above 120 and just plain doesn't move. I'm guessing I need a new or gently used VSS. Where exactly is this located in the transmission? I've honestly never messed with that part of any of my previous fieros.

Also, since I've already got a thread going.... anyone know where to look to get my ajar light to go off?

Is there an easy fix for a hood latch that won't latch?

My ebrake cables have been cut out at some point from a PO, but my brake light is on.. any ideas there? J checked and the handle is all the way down.

That's all I have for now... just some gremlins to fight off now and shell be road ready once again. Thank you.

~James
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by EvilSqueezles:
I got my car running after it has sat for 4 years. Complete cradle drop, engine swap, dropped the tank and rubberized the outside of it. Enough with that though. I have a couple of electrical woes... my speedo is maxed out above 120 and just plain doesn't move. I'm guessing I need a new or gently used VSS. Where exactly is this located in the transmission? I've honestly never messed with that part of any of my previous fieros.

The Fiero uses only two VSS sensors for all years and options. One for 1984 cars and the other is for 1985-1988. The location of the sensor will be on top of your transmission and is the large sensor with what looks like a big silver disk shape with a plug connecting vertical into it. On whatever trans you have (in the future when starting a tech thread, remember to always state what options your car has), look around the area of the shift linkages and you'll find it.

While the VSS will likely be the culprit, on Fieros the way the signal is sent to the speedometer is a bit "backwards". The signal travels from the VSS, to the speedometer itself which acts as the buffer or 'filter', and then finally to the ECM. If you find after servicing the VSS the problem persists you may have another issue somewhere else such as the speedo itself or accompanying wiring.

Also, since I've already got a thread going.... anyone know where to look to get my ajar light to go off?

You need to check all the door switches. Just Google Fiero door switch and you'll find photos showing the locations of the switches tied into the 'ajar' lamp. Either they're physically broken or their wiring is no longer operating properly.

Is there an easy fix for a hood latch that won't latch?

If you have had the hood open you may have accidentally closed the latch. First pull the hood release to see if it pops. If not, then look in behind the hood release under the dash. There is a secondary release with a ball end on it that is used for emergency back-up (such as if the interior latch breaks). This secondary latch puts more pull tension on the hood latch but is only meant to be used rarely. You'll likely have to use pliers to pull on it. Pulling it should activate the latch into the opened position and allow you to close the hood.

I would recommend lubricating the latch before you close the hood.

Also make sure you're actually closing the hood "correctly" Closing a Fiero hood is a lot like closing a Corvette hood. Hold about a foot away from the latch, grasping with your left hand on the top of the hood with the ridge coming to your hand, then drop. Don't try to force it down with your hand or close it like half a foot away or it'll just bounce off the latch.

My ebrake cables have been cut out at some point from a PO, but my brake light is on.. any ideas there? J checked and the handle is all the way down.

If you look at the top of the forum page, you will see in black "Orge's Cave". Go into "Body & Chassis", then "Brakes", then "Brake Light". You see a full explanation of potential issues with the brake light being illuminated and how to resolve them.
EvilSqueezles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all your information, and yea I forgot to mention its the auto (th125c?)

~James

[This message has been edited by EvilSqueezles (edited 07-21-2013).]

92wastheyear

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

anyone know where to look to get my ajar light to go off?

There is also a switch on the deck lid that will cause the "Door Ajar " light to come on too

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"My e brake cables have been cut out at some point from a PO, but my brake light is on.. any ideas there? J checked and the handle is all the way down."

If you are not going to use it at the moment, unhook the wire to the switch that grounds out to turn the light off/on I dont recall which way. Or take some time and adjust the switch. It can be done, frustrating but I have taken the time adjusting until it went off. It now is called a parking brake. Only old timers like me call it the emergency brake. LOL

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 07-22-2013).]

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002
My ajar light comes on sometimes when first starting out but goes off after a while. I think it is because the car has 87 wiring and 99 ECM. And I have had the "shift" light come faintly from time to time and the car is now an automatic. I just live with it.

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 07-22-2013).]

EvilSqueezles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can only assume that a physical "Inspection" WO t tell me much more on the vss Unless it is physically broken.... I took it out and inspected it, the shaft is intact, blue gear looks in fine shape as well so I put it back in. She. These go bad is it normal for it to sit all the way past 120? Or do they normally stick to 0? The car sat for a good 4 years or so and the PO said it worked when it tossed the rod and got parked. Seems more to me to be a broken speedo itself with the position it sits in.... but second opinions are always superior.

Also another sensor/wiring question.... my old pressure gauge bottoms out fine when the key is off, as soon as you turn the key on it also pegs all the way. Even after driving it some or letting it idle for a bit this does not change. Bad sensor maybe?

Thanks again.

~James

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock