Frame stiffening for convertible by Treep78
Started on: 07-19-2013 02:00 PM
Replies: 12 (661 views)
Last post by: jaskispyder on 07-19-2013 08:33 PM
Treep78

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Treep78Send a Private Message to Treep78Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I want to do a convertible with my fiero and I found this good reinforcement build I'de like to do. http://www.madmechanics.com...e-reinforcement.html but there is no electricity where I have to work on the car (aside from my small generator) so I asked a friend if it would work to oxy-acytoline weld it together and he said "why don't you just bolt it on?" Would that work or would bolt on reinforcement be to weak?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The issue here is that you are not welding one flat surface to another flat surface. I suspect you will find that you don't have good locations for the bolts to hold things together.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a convertible fiero. The subframe was bolted in, then welded. I wouldn't go with bolts alone, as the chassis on the fiero is made up of "sheet metal" and you don't have good anchor points, like on a typically framed vehicle (truck/old car).

See this link for a x-frame: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...030531-2-030610.html
Treep78

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Treep78Send a Private Message to Treep78Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't want to do the x frame as you loose ground clearance and cut off access to the gas tank. The design I linked does kind of a box thing and doesn't loose clearance or the tank. Do you think a combination of bolting and welding will work?
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie did the strongest frame reinforcement I've seen. Check out Yarmouth Fieros build in the construction forum. Both of those are the best I've seen.

[This message has been edited by dratts (edited 07-19-2013).]

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Treep78:

I don't want to do the x frame as you loose ground clearance and cut off access to the gas tank. The design I linked does kind of a box thing and doesn't loose clearance or the tank. Do you think a combination of bolting and welding will work?

Check out the link, as the frame has a section that can be unbolted to remove tank.
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Frames are welded together for a reason - just saying. Bolt it up to get it together, then have it welded when you can move it someplace that you can do this.
Treep78

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Treep78Send a Private Message to Treep78Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you think it's possible to oxy weld it?
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
probably... depending on the quality of the welder A lot of upside-down welding.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the chassis reinforcement, this is a good thread to review:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000137.html

As for oxy welding... take it somewhere there is electrical service. There is a substantial amount of cutting/fitting which will be difficult if your only "tool" is a torch.
Treep78

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Treep78Send a Private Message to Treep78Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good thread but I don't think I have the skills to completely replace structural pieces of the car. As for welding I'm trying to figure out if between my Jeep and my portable generator I have the juice to run an arc welder.
PFF
System Bot
Treep78

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Treep78Send a Private Message to Treep78Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Treep78

27 posts
Member since Feb 2013
Actually, new question: can I use my portable generator to help my alternator recharge my battery to run an arc welder off a 120v inverter?
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rent a portable welder/generator or trailer car to a location with power

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock