88 rear hubs install issue by poncho_101
Started on: 07-18-2013 10:58 PM
Replies: 7 (275 views)
Last post by: Marvin McInnis on 07-21-2013 05:27 PM
poncho_101

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for poncho_101Send a Private Message to poncho_101Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello all,
My L67 Formula is about reading to start (waiting on new fuel pump), I have now set my sights on buttoning up my suspension. I have gone through and replaced all the rear bushing and while doing so, found my rear hubs were bad (one was two pieces). I have purchased aftermarket reacmemts but seem to have an issue. After installing both hubs and running the axle nuts down with an impact, my hubs no longer turn. I have never had this issue on a care before and cannot begin to understand what is wrong. I searched this issue with no luck. Any help will be appreciated, thank you.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well first you positive they gave you the correct hubs.

Next the barrel that is connected to the flange should run all the way through to the inside so the axle shaft should seat against it. You sure the bad bearing didn't damage the axle some? If you loosen one or the other does it free up. That might tell you which side is causing the problem. With one locked you would not be able to turn either due the the differential.
Spit balling ideas.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Impact?
Overtightened maybe?
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 06:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have ran into this a couple times before. Loosen them up to where they will spin again, then rotate them about 4 turns, tighten some more, rotate, tighten, etc until they are tight and properly torqued.

I suspect the issue is the seal on the backside gets pinched during the installation or something doesn't slide into place exactly right and causes some binding.
poncho_101

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for poncho_101Send a Private Message to poncho_101Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions.

First off let me say that I am certain these parts were ordered for the right vehicle and the part numbers match. They are NOT OEM though. As I have been burned by aftermarket parts before, I will compare these units closely to my old units.

I can assure everyone that the axle nuts were not overtorqued. Yes, they were installed with an 1/2" impact, however this will hardly achieve 120 ft/lbs on a smaller lug but.

Tomorrow I will remove the axle nuts, remove the axle splines from the hubs and start fresh using the 4 turn method. Hopefully this works. I will report back with findings tomorrow.

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by poncho_101:

I can assure everyone that the axle nuts were not overtorqued.

You cannot be sure of that ... at least not unless you apply a torque wrench set to 200 ft-lb and observe some further tightening. You should never use an impact wrench to tighten a prevailing-torque locking nut. At the very least, if you don't use anti-seize on the threads you risk cold-welding the nut to the threaded shaft. I've seen it happen. (No, I wasn't the one with the impact wrench in my hand.)

Before going any further, my suggestion would be to back the axle nuts off at least a quarter turn and see if that frees up the hubs. If so, then tighten them back to spec (200 ft-lb) with a torque wrench and again check for smooth operation. If that works the hubs may still be permanently damaged, but there's probably nothing to do but buy new hubs and install them correctly or run these until they fail.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 07-21-2013).]

poncho_101

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for poncho_101Send a Private Message to poncho_101Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After removing the axle shaft, at least on the passenger side, it appears that the axle is making contact with the new seal that was installed into the knuckle. I intend on removing the knuckle completely and installing the seal deeper ( further outboard) into the knuckle and checking again. Can anyone tell the proper depth of the seal)
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by poncho_101:

... it appears that the axle is making contact with the new seal that was installed into the knuckle. I intend on removing the knuckle completely and installing the seal deeper ( further outboard) into the knuckle and checking again. Can anyone tell the proper depth of the seal)

Do you really mean "further outboard"? On the '88s the seal is installed approximately flush with the inboard (transmission side) face of the knuckle; I'm sure the earlier years are similar. Be sure the seal is oriented correctly ... with the concave side facing inboard. There is a sheet metal flange on the outer CV joint that interlocks with the recess in the seal to form a labyrinth that helps keep dirt away from the rubber seal itself. Here is the illustration from The Ogre's Cave:

Source

Also see:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...315-2-077381.html#p8 ... seal installed wrong
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...15-2-077381.html#p19 ... seal installed correctly (OEM)

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 07-21-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock