Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  86 SE Suspension Options - Camaro Donor?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
86 SE Suspension Options - Camaro Donor? by mram10
Started on: 07-18-2013 08:38 PM
Replies: 7 (302 views)
Last post by: RCR on 07-20-2013 08:44 PM
mram10

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mram10Send a Private Message to mram10Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I need those that think out of the box for this thread. I have the 86 Kit car (yes, I am still building it) and want to put heavier duty A-arms, springs, spindles, bearings and brakes on it. My thoughts were to get a donor car and take those parts off and measure to keep the dimensions true.

I found a 93 Camaro that could be a a good suspension donor, but would it be worth it? Does anyone have experience doing this? Please only constructive replies. Anything is possible, so share your ideas. Thanks guys.

[This message has been edited by mram10 (edited 07-18-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's hard to imagine how anything would fit. There are aftermarket suspension upgrades for the 86 that work great, so why not use those?

http://arrautmotorsports.co...product-information/

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 07-18-2013).]

EvilSqueezles

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's , I think, a couple good tubular control arm options I stumbled across them by accident once. I'm sure you could make some other vehicles fit in place for you, but I'd really take into consideration the cost of the donor plus all the labor involved vs jus the added cost of something made to go in for the actual application. Depending on the price of the donor you may spend more up front, but less money and heartache in the end. If you do decide to go with a completely off the wall setup though, take lots of pictures since we love pictures

~James
mram10

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mram10Send a Private Message to mram10Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wanted a suspension built for a much heavier car. I found a 93 camaro for $500. I could take the entire suspension, power steering and seats out of it. Heck, I am sure I could find more parts to use, then sell it for scrap and get 200-300 for the scrap. Seems like a good deal, but I haven't seen it done.
VF1Skullangel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VF1SkullangelClick Here to visit VF1Skullangel's HomePageSend a Private Message to VF1SkullangelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is the Camaro complete? If it is the Engine alone could be worth $300 bucks give or take and the Trans another $300 bucks if in good condition.

I would take the gamble on it and see what you can slavage from the car.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's really nothing, short of brakes, that could be used. The front of the Camaro is a SLA sytem and the rear is a live axle. You would be better served using the heavy duty A-body components (pontiac 6000hd, Celebrity wagon, some of the mini vans, etc) for the rear suspension (upright/hub/brakes). You could also box the control arm for more strength if you wanted. Otherwise, look for a car with front and rear independent suspension (Vette, Soltice, etc) and try to make it work.

Then of coarse, as mentioned, the aftermarket systems.

Bob
mram10

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2013 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mram10Send a Private Message to mram10Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
RCR,
I like the ideas. I will look into that. I wanted the camaro for all the parts, but I don't have much room right now. I will start searching. What exactly do you mean by "box"?

I was also wanting to use the front bearings, brakes(12") and spindles from a bigger vehicle.

[This message has been edited by mram10 (edited 07-20-2013).]

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2013 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went around in circles for a while trying to figure out how I wanted to do it.

Based upon what you are looking for, I would recommend you upgrade the front rotor/hub to the Corvair, similar to Bubajoexxx. This will give you a larger bearing surface and the option for a larger bolt pattern. It's not a bolt on solution, though.

For the rear, use the intermediate upright and bearing from the A-body (or G-body?) as I mentioned above, or use that upright with the s10 bearing. Again, this gives you bigger bearings and bolt pattern options.

You can use one of the brake options offered in the mall, 12" or 13" or LeBaron.

Personally, I went the harder route. I'm using the Celebrity wagon uprights, hub and 10" brakes in back. For the front, I swapped in an 88 suspension and made my own 13" brakes using Cobra rotors and 02 Camaro calipers.

FWIW, boxing the a-arms is welding in plate to the bottom to create a "box". This strengthens the part by preventing flex. No idea how much the stock parts actually flex.

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 07-21-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock