HELP!!! Too much oil pressure... by Myrick813
Started on: 07-18-2013 07:59 PM
Replies: 14 (360 views)
Last post by: crashyoung on 07-22-2013 11:27 PM
Myrick813

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Myrick813Send a Private Message to Myrick813Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So i just put a rebuilt 2.8 in my 86. I got it from a fellow member. So i got it all installed and when i start it with new oil and a new fram filter the oil pressure jumps to 80psi and then blows the oil seal off the filter, ive tried this a couple times and it dose the same thing. The story with the motor is that it was sitting for a year or so. but was rebuilt and has very low miles on it.

Any ideas guys??

Thank You Brian.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tuggajb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tuggajbSend a Private Message to tuggajbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oil pressure relief is probley stuck
Think it is by oil pump
Is part of oil pump

[This message has been edited by tuggajb (edited 07-18-2013).]

Myrick813

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Myrick813Send a Private Message to Myrick813Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone have any pictures??
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Take off filter and there is a hole where the valve goes. Pull it out and replace.
http://i129.photobucket.com...%202009/MRB09102.jpg

This is where oil pressure relief valve is located.

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 07-18-2013).]

Myrick813

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Myrick813Send a Private Message to Myrick813Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would that blow the oil pressure to the roof?
Myrick813

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Myrick813Send a Private Message to Myrick813Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Myrick813

83 posts
Member since Aug 2011
Where can i buy one ?
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
oil pump regulator is hosed. part of oil pump.
and/or something major wrong w/ engine

Filter bypass? Not likely.
Bypass opens ~7psi difference between in and out on the filter.
this shouldn't blow filters

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Myrick813

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Myrick813Send a Private Message to Myrick813Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is my next step? I'm stumped..
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Myrick813:

What is my next step? I'm stumped..

Buy stock oil pump, drop oil pan, replace pump, reinstall oil pan, win.

Edit: If there was truly something blocking an oil passage somewhere early in the oiling system of the engine, I have no idea how you would troubleshoot that... no oil getting up to the top of the heads, I suppose, but then I would worry about bearings. In that case, the regulator in the pump would still hold the pressure down correctly, regardless, especially at idle. So I would change the pump as Ogre suggested.

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 07-19-2013).]

zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have to pull the pan.

On the half of the oil pump that the pickup tube attaches to, there will be two maybe quarter inch holes, one has a freeze plug in it, the other has a pin in it vertically that is holding a spring and valve in there. This is the pressure release valve. Yours is probably stuck.

If you pull the pan, you can easily unbolt this half of the oil pump without removing the oil pump from the block. It is 4 ten mm bolts I think holding the two halves of the pump together. Watch out the gears will fall out too. You can use this opportunity to get a pump rebuild kit and replace the gears in the pump, and it might even come with the release valve.

You will need to remove that pin to replace the valve. You can try soaking the removed part of the pump in something to dissolve anything that my be blocking the pressure release valve.

PS there is no gasket between the two halves in case you think you are missing it.

Good luck! it should be easy to do once the pan is removed, there are threads on how to remove the pan in car.
Myrick813

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Myrick813Send a Private Message to Myrick813Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The car is oiling to the top of the motor, heads, rockers, lifters out of the dist ect. it can idle and not blow oil but if i rev it it blows, ill drop the pan this weekend.

Thank ALL of you Guys for all your help....
Brian
PFF
System Bot
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've heard fram filters are crap. Try a Purolator gold & see if that fixes your problem...
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tha Driver:

I've heard fram filters are crap. Try a Purolator gold & see if that fixes your problem...
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

Yeah, longevity wise... out of the box crap? I wouldn't think so... not more than one anyway.
Myrick813

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Myrick813Send a Private Message to Myrick813Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great news, It was the pressure relief valve in the oil pump. It was stuck like chuck. New oil pump and she is idleing at about 60 psi. when it's warm i'm at about 55ish psi. Now ill be driving her again.

Thanks for all of your help people of PFF!!!!

Brian
crashyoung

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had this happen with my sbc oil pump.
The pressure would go over 100 PSI and rip the filter down the side.
I was able to clean the valve piston and get it working again.
Glad you got yours going!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock