HVAC system doesn't work? by Shonyman32
Started on: 07-17-2013 09:22 PM
Replies: 5 (205 views)
Last post by: Shonyman32 on 08-07-2013 06:03 PM
Shonyman32

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My fiero had a fire in the HVAC because a rat built a nest on the resistors and one day poof. Put in a new HVAC unit off of another fiero. At the time I was putting it in I was in a High School Vocay (Auto Tech) class and was hurrying to get it in before the end of the year. After that I stopped working on it because I started working on rebuilding the engine. Got the engine rebuilt and I am working out the kinks in it but it runs.

My blower motor does not spin but when I had the HVAC outside of the car I tested the blower to make sure it worked and it did, but now inside the car it doesn't. I must not have something hooked up right?

When I click AC to turn the fan on because my fan switch doesn't work the fan still turns on but the nothing else happens when I click the AC buttons. No heat, no nothing.

Where should I start? What should I check first.

1987 2.8 automatic with AC.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Start with the wiring to the motor. It's very simple: A purple wire for power, and a black wire for ground. The ground is hooked up to the body of the blower motor, and may not be getting a good connection if the blower motor has a lot of paint on it. Or if you were in a hurry and never connected it.
NoMoreRicers

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Always check the fuse first!

Then use the wipers and sprayer to make sure the ground is good.

Check to see if the blower motor works on 'high.'
Shonyman32

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are two wires that go to the blower motor. Like you said the black one is a ground and the other wire has a little plug in area. Are the wires so supposed to be on the same loom? Or are the wires separated?

I don't know exactly what they are called but they look like relay closer to the heater lines. There is a black and purple wire that go together with one plug that aren't plugged in anywhere?
Shonyman32

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My wipers and spray work.
Shonyman32

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Shonyman32

593 posts
Member since Jan 2012
Also my HVAC lights only sometimes work. If I shake it a little (the frame that holds the HVAC is broken) the HVAC lights will turn on and sometimes turn on by themselves. None of the buttons work but the AC buttons turn on the radiator fan like I said. My HVAC wiring harness has an extra purple and black wire that aren't plugged into anything and I am sure it wasn't like that from the factory. I replaced the entire HVAC after a fire and re-taped the wiring harness. I could have easily messed up though.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock