Wiring question, pls help! by 4thfiero
Started on: 07-17-2013 08:28 PM
Replies: 9 (232 views)
Last post by: PaulJK on 07-20-2013 05:28 AM
4thfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys,

So i FINALLY got my car back from the shop, IT RUNS AGAIN! really excited. Drove her home. However my front headlights dont work.

History: My 86 Fiero se 2.8 v6 frame rotted out on me and broke...So i ordered a new 88 GT frame and have spent the last year rebuilding my car onto the 88 GT frame. This particular 88GT WAS an automatic...but has not been converted into standered. The interior wiring harness is of an 88 auto and my engine harness is an 86 standered. My mechanic fixed the starter wire issue. So engine runs...tail lights work, everything there is good, However im noticing that now my front headlights wont pop up and my interior lights wont come on. When i hit the button to enable both...all that happened is my LEFT turn signal arrow on my dash illuminated and stays lit until i press the button to dis-engage my headlights.

Questions:

1) Is there any custom wiring or differences between the 88 auto interior harness and an 86 standered front harness? In terms of the C500 connector on the front firewall, is the pinning different?

2) What else could be causing the lights not to pop up and my interior lights to NOT illuminate.

3) Off topic, My shifter needs adjusting, i can find 2,3,4,5,R (all gears are not smooth to shift into and finding them is kinda tricky and stiff. 1st gear is hidden. Can anyone direct me on how to adjust my shifter to "free it up" and help her to shift like she used too? I have a 5 Speed Getrag out of a 91 Sunbird (i believe) with dickman's conversion kit and shift cables. Also brand new 5 speed shifter from Fiero store. Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the headlight setup on the 86 is design 1, the head light setup on 88 is second design. ya gotta change the harness and motors over (I think)
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
uh oh....arnt those 88 motors HARD to find?
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 03:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't really help solve your problem since my server with all my reference material is down at the moment...but I can answer question one.

Gen 1 headlights were 84-86. Gen 2 was 87-88. There are no pin differences between the two in the C100 (you referred to this as the C500). You need a matched set of front (in front of the C100) wiring and headlight motors for it to work. A gen 1 harness would include relays, a gen 2 harness would include the module. You can't really mix them up though....too many differences for them to be accidentally mixed up.

For further troubleshooting, I am unclear whether you are using the Gen 1 or Gen 2 headlight setup...please clarify. Troubleshooting the headlights popping up will be completely different between the two. Do the headlights come on and just not come up? Or do they not even come on? Have you checked all your fuses?

For the turn signal indicator coming on solid....replace the front turn signal bulbs. Even if the old ones appear good...even if the old ones TEST good....replace them with new. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Can we assume you are not using any LED bulbs?
IFLYR22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 03:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 85 has 88 wiring in the middle (interior) of the car, and 85 up front. My headlights are still the gen 1's. They work just fine with the mis-matched harnesses.
My rear is also 85 (mostly, with the exception of what was done for my 3800).

The 88 wiring was from an Automatic car as well, then it was converted to a Manual, and back to an Automatic.

I did not have to re-pin the front 85 harness to work with my 88 interior harness.

I did have to re-pin the rear to work with the Manual vs. Automatic transmission differences related to the starter.

-Dave
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry I made a mistake in the original post, the 88 frame WAS an auto but was converted into a 5speed.

I believe I have gen 1 headlights bcc I have relays and the lights and harness came off an 86. So Gen1

Does anyone have a wiring map of the gen 1 headlights? I don't k ow where I messed up...
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

4thfiero

815 posts
Member since Oct 2012
I will check my front bulbs and check the fuses.

Originally posted by CowsPatoot:

I can't really help solve your problem since my server with all my reference material is down at the moment...but I can answer question one.
Gen 1 headlights were 84-86. Gen 2 was 87-88. There are no pin differences between the two in the C100 (you referred to this as the C500). You need a matched set of front (in front of the C100) wiring and headlight motors for it to work. A gen 1 harness would include relays, a gen 2 harness would include the module. You can't really mix them up though....too many differences for them to be accidentally mixed up.

For further troubleshooting, I am unclear whether you are using the Gen 1 or Gen 2 headlight setup...please clarify. Troubleshooting the headlights popping up will be completely different between the two. Do the headlights come on and just not come up? Or do they not even come on? Have you checked all your fuses?

For the turn signal indicator coming on solid....replace the front turn signal bulbs. Even if the old ones appear good...even if the old ones TEST good....replace them with new. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Can we assume you are not using any LED bulbs?

4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2013 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So i discovered that the 2 black ground wires on my front harness were no longer connected. Thats probably an issue yes? lol i havnt reconnected them yet, i think i need to take out my headlight assembly to get at them and properly secure them...ach.
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2013 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup....that might be part of the problem. Keep us updated, and we will pick up troubleshooting once we find out what that changes (if we need any more troubleshooting).
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2013 05:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 4thfiero:

I believe I have gen 1 headlights bcc I have relays and the lights and harness came off an 86. So Gen1

the easiest way to tell is to look at the knobs on top of the motors - gen. 1 are flat and round; gen. 2 look like a bottle cap.

GEN. 1

GEN. 2

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 07-20-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock