A Few Questions About 3800 Head Gasket by hinesb1890
Started on: 07-17-2013 07:47 PM
Replies: 25 (2468 views)
Last post by: NoMoreRicers on 08-13-2013 09:28 PM
hinesb1890

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hinesb1890Click Here to visit hinesb1890's HomePageSend a Private Message to hinesb1890Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Engine is a 3800sc Series II, I was looking at my new head gaskets today and they are both the same not specific to either side (pic below, both say R1 on them). I am wondering if I am supposed to have a specific one for each side (R1 and L1) or if they are interchangeable? Did I just get messed up set?

My second question is whether or not I need to use a sealant when install the gasket? The instructions that game with the head bolts said if it is a metal gasket to use a thin coat of sealant and if it is fiber don't use any... but I haven't seen anywhere else that says to use it. If I do what kind do I use?

Third I am wondering if teflon tape will be sufficient to seal the head bolts?

Are there any other gaskets I would be wise to add sealant to for peace of mind?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroaddicted

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
mine was screwed up. Got a fepro set, and the gaskets were the same. No matter what i did, the right side one would not fit properly. Felpro does not list them as a separate part, but victor lists the head gaskets as right and left. Also, you can buy the right and left felpro ones from zzp. I took pics of how the wrong one sat on the right side head and took them to the guy i bought the gaskets from. He got me a new victor right side head gasket and it was fine after that. You can check out my build thread below. There are some pics and a bit of discussion on this on pages 2 and 3. Hope it helps
troy

//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...2/HTML/126444-2.html
no1kicker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no1kickerSend a Private Message to no1kickerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You do not use any sealant when using felpro head gaskets. The head bolts should have some red sealant already on them.
hinesb1890

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hinesb1890Click Here to visit hinesb1890's HomePageSend a Private Message to hinesb1890Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys, I will need to check the fit again on the head gaskets but they seemed to fit fine unlike in your pictures fieroaddicted, as long as all the holes line up it should be fine right? And I will need too look at the head bolts again I don't know how I missed that
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't believe the "Mismatch is the bolt holes, it's in the COOLANT passages. No sealer on the head gaskets, the head bolts, brush on thread sealer, not tape.
hinesb1890

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hinesb1890Click Here to visit hinesb1890's HomePageSend a Private Message to hinesb1890Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

I don't believe the "Mismatch is the bolt holes, it's in the COOLANT passages. No sealer on the head gaskets, the head bolts, brush on thread sealer, not tape.

Thanks thats a good point, those are definitely not symmetrical so I will find another set
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have read countless threads from people complaining about the durability (or lack thereof) of the felpro head gaskets on supercharged 3800 Series 2 and 3 engines. Stock GM head gaskets seem to be very good and that's what I would recommend you get for your engine.

------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Actually the only problem i had was with the alignment dowels. All passages and combustion chambers lined up, except the gasket was "crooked" and did not sit square on the right side cyl head, which left a gap at the top corner.

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only rule of thumb I have went by on gaskets is keeping the "smal hole" on the water pump side of the motor. I believe the felpros can be installed upside down.
hinesb1890

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hinesb1890Click Here to visit hinesb1890's HomePageSend a Private Message to hinesb1890Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The GM gaskets only come in a set with the intakes and such and since I already have those I think I will try the victor set, thanks again guys
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GM Gaskets have 2 different part #s stamped in them, so I know they are different. Better to "Nit pick" before hand than to wonder why something's wrong after the fact !
PFF
System Bot
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the front and rear heads are the same how can the gaskets be different? Larry
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's a good point, but they are.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou6t4gto

8436 posts
Member since May 2008
I just went out and looked at a pair of" GM Originals". The Only difference is in the "Alignment Holes", they are 2 different parts #s, but I Cannot see a reason why 2 of the same should not work as long as they fit onto the alignment pins.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou6t4gto

8436 posts
Member since May 2008
the gaskets you have pictured are EXACTLY like the Gm originals, right down to the arrows pointing to the smaller alignment holes.
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I just went out and looked at a pair of" GM Originals". The Only difference is in the "Alignment Holes", they are 2 different parts #s, but I Cannot see a reason why 2 of the same should not work as long as they fit onto the alignment pins.

Like i said, the alignment pins were the only difference i found. Everything lined up otherwise, except the gasket was 1/4 inch lower on the front corner due to the alignment pins being offset.
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroaddicted

662 posts
Member since Dec 2012

Originally posted by trotterlg:

If the front and rear heads are the same how can the gaskets be different? Larry

The heads are the "same", which means that one is flipped around backwards (not a mirror image) which means that just flipping a gasket to make it work will not work since the alignment pins are in different positions. There is indeed 2 separate gaskets for this engine
trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the heads can be identical why can't the gaskets be identical? Larry
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trotterlg:

If the heads can be identical why can't the gaskets be identical? Larry

The dowel pins on the block are in different spots on each side which meant in my case, that the gaskets would not sit in the proper spot on on the block on the right side. I bought a victor right side gasket, and it fixed my issue.

trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the pins are in a different place on the block how does the head fit on them? Are there two holes in the head for the different pin locations?
hinesb1890

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hinesb1890Click Here to visit hinesb1890's HomePageSend a Private Message to hinesb1890Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The red circles are the pin locations and the white are non-symmetrical cutouts on the gasket... The gasket fits each bank the same the only difference are the size of the coolant holes on the ends, I'm not sure if this would cause an issue or not

[This message has been edited by hinesb1890 (edited 07-19-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
not sure what more to say other than that was the issue i had. I could flip it upside down or rightside up and it didn't matter how it was put on the block. Everything still lined up perfect, other than the gasket sat low on the front corner. If i flipped it, it would sit low in the upper rear corner.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hinesb1890, I noticed, the 2 gaskets you have "pictured" DO have 2 different part #s on them. 085 and 083.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou6t4gto

8436 posts
Member since May 2008
nevermind, they're the same. duh
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make sure to get the heads milled/flattened for best results.

I used a heavy coat of copper spray on both sides of the felpro gasket as well as the heads and block. Head studs with teflon tape on the threads going into the block. Had the heads milled with a super fine cut. Still holding strong 11 months later with lots of boost. (knock on wood)

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.17@132.6

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 07-19-2013).]

NoMoreRicers

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

Make sure to get the heads milled/flattened for best results.

I used a heavy coat of copper spray on both sides of the felpro gasket as well as the heads and block. Head studs with teflon tape on the threads going into the block. Had the heads milled with a super fine cut. Still holding strong 11 months later with lots of boost. (knock on wood)

Did you check to make sure the block deck was flat? Is it it just the heads that usually warp?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock