Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Coughing, heistating, bucking, stalling...

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Coughing, heistating, bucking, stalling... by a_bartle
Started on: 07-15-2013 07:37 PM
Replies: 8 (316 views)
Last post by: Bruce on 07-19-2013 12:00 PM
a_bartle

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for a_bartleSend a Private Message to a_bartleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Something new just starting happening with my '88 Fiero, 2.8L V-6. Starts and runs fine, however, three times now after the car has been run on the expressway for a while, when I get off the expressway and come to a stop on the off-ramp, upon acceleration it starts to cough, buck and it even completely stalled once. The first time it did this, I was near "E" on the fuel gauge, so I thought the engine was just being starved for fuel, and I promptly filled it up. But then it did it two more times, so it's not a low fuel thing. Also, it started right back up when it stalled. I'm puzzled because it's never done this before, and it's not throwing a check engine code. The engine wasn't hot either, under 200 degrees.

What should I be checking????
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
blacknotchback86

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blacknotchback86Send a Private Message to blacknotchback86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
to me it sound like it is starving for fuel too... have you replace the fuel filter ?? then test the fuel pressure?? test before and after . see if there is any change. there could also be there is a sludge line in you tank you gets it down so far the pump starts pumping it? by sludge i mean water, varnish, dirt most of the time dirt falls to the bottom of the tank even sugar etc.will verify wile running with a fuel pressure gauge make sure it not on the low side like 40.5 and lower i think the fuel should be between 40.5 and 47 psi if it on the lower side of that i would be thinking it's clogged or clogging

also could be the sock in the tank is starting to plug or the fuel filter is starting to plug? you got your foot on the gas on the free way you take it off to stop then put it back on and it plugs up. mite be time for a fuel pump too? if your in there....

sound like you got good spark cause it restarted right away making me thing your fuel filters / pump sock are just about plugged or getting close to it ...

[This message has been edited by blacknotchback86 (edited 07-15-2013).]

armos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for armosSend a Private Message to armosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You might try rigging up a fuel pressure gauge that you can watch while driving, to see if anything is happening to the pressure when it acts up. I don't know how feasible that is on the Fiero though, I've never tried to do it.
crashyoung

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fuel pump or plugged filter.
Get a fuel pressure gage and monitor the pressure.
Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sometimes running on empty plays havoc on the fuel injectors.
chorcob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chorcobSend a Private Message to chorcobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bruce:

Sometimes running on empty plays havoc on the fuel injectors.

a_bartle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for a_bartleSend a Private Message to a_bartleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys for the suggestions/advice. The first thing I'll try is changing the fuel filter (since I don't have a fuel pressure gauge) and see if that helps. If not, onto the other suggestions...
a_bartle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for a_bartleSend a Private Message to a_bartleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, not sure, but after driving the car last night, I believe I know what's going on. I think my transmission lockup solenoid is failing, which is causing the stalling. I did some research on that, and I guess to "test" this, I can unplug the lockup connector. I've not found a good photo yet of where it's at, but I'll keep digging. If anyone has one or knows where one is at, please jump in. Also, I read that there is a TCC "kit" that has everything I'll need, anybody have part numbers or sources?

Thanks for the help guys!
Art
Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the problems persist after your checking the solenoid, check your vacuum lines. I changed virtually every sensor, fuel injector, and connector only to find that I had some leaking vacuum lines. I had symptoms similar to yours (your Fiero's, that is).
Hang in there!
bb

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock