Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Top or Bottom - Best way to remove Drive Train from a scrapyard bound chassis

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Top or Bottom - Best way to remove Drive Train from a scrapyard bound chassis by hcforde
Started on: 07-15-2013 10:52 AM
Replies: 10 (288 views)
Last post by: hcforde on 07-19-2013 07:24 PM
hcforde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 1987 6Cyl automatic GT I bought as a parts car and have stripped off the body panels and the interior so far as well as most of the stuff in the front trunk area of the car. I am stripping this down as much as possible and nothing is going back on the car. The car was only used from 1987-1999, it has been in an accident in the front end, repaired, then sat from 1999 on. The interior is in excellent good condition. After stripping it, I then have to get the remains of the chassis on a trailer and get it to a scrap yard. So alignment is NOT an issue here. What is the easiest/quickest way to take out the engine & transmission(top or bottom). I will also be removing the cradle and still have it be able to roll onto a trailer?

I am also thinking I can do the basic removal, roll it on the trailer and then maybe even take off the suspension while it is on the trailer. Anyone ever done this? I do not have a plasma cutter and do NOT want to take the time with a sawzall but I want to get as many parts as possible from this vehicle.

This subject has been talked about and I have read the numerous threads, but all in the reference of ultimately restoring the vehicle. Not the case here. Just need to strip it, and be able to get it to a metal recycler as easy as possible.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierojp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierojpClick Here to visit fierojp's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierojpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Out the bottom with the cradle still attached will be the fastest. I don't know how you're going to roll it on to the trailer though.... Drag it up with a winch??? Let a metal recycler pick it up from you with their flatbed equipped with a winch???
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Definitely out the bottom. I striped my parts car last year and dropped everything out the bottom. I left it in my driveway "junkyard style" (car sitting on top of two rims that are on their side), then called the yard and had them bring a flatbed to pick it up. The had no problem dragging it up, and no damage to the driveway because the car was up in the air on the rims. I just put a rim on each side about mid door, and it balanced the carcass pretty well.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is what my parts car looked like when I was done with it.
I rolled it outside on a furniture dolly.
The flatbed driver had no problem dragging it up onto the truck.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 07-15-2013).]

goatvenom

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for goatvenomSend a Private Message to goatvenomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i cut the cradle out of my parts car and to take it to the yard i made a small dolly and bolted it it to the rear frame and put some small casters on it and pushed it on the trailer, worked flawlessly, at the yard i took of my dolly and went on my way
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At $.010/pound I can make a bit of cash taking it to the scrapyard myself because I already have a trailer. I have been reading more threads on taking off the headers and manifold first then lifting it out. I live in a neighborhood where I can not have a shell of a car outside. I could probably take the Drive train out the bottom, then reinstall the rims and tires roll it onto the trailer, jack it up, put it on blocks, then take off the suspension. Not easy by any means though but the shell should bring me between $100-$150.
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sawzall the trunk out and take it out the back
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Funny you should say that, I was just looking at the trunk a few minutes ago and that plastic piece that is attached to the rear end of it. Removing It would give me a lot more working room wouldn't it. It should have enough integrity to roll onto a trailer afterwards with no weight on the rear end hardly. I will have to take a look at it again maybe I can get Tim Allen to come over and help me. rrrrrrr....rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.rrrrr.
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bought blades for my reciprocating saw, and I also bought a pneumatic saw for metal that Harbor Freight had for $10 with a special coupon, normally $35.00. So it seems that basically you just cut the trunk out, raise the car a bit then just pull the cradle back(that is the short version).
fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seeing how you have a trailer, raise the car up on 4 jack stands and place jack stands under body near coolant tubes. Unbolt front and rear cradles, drop from bottom. Roll trailer under front part of car up to front jack stands. Place floor jack on trailer and raise to remove front jack stands. Attach "come-along" to front of chassis. Slowly back trailer further under car until you reach rear jack stands. (Or you can drag car onto trailer using "come-along").At this point, if you have second jack, raise rear of car to remove jack stands. Use "come-along" to finish dragging chassis onto trailer to get positive tongue weight. Scrap yard can easily get chassis off trailer.

[This message has been edited by fierocarparts (edited 07-20-2013).]

hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I may have a slight change in plans. I will probably cut the front and back end off. I want to do a practice run on making a chop-top before I do it for real on a better car. That makes the transportation a lot easier.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock