Separating Engine from Transmission by CocoFiero
Started on: 07-14-2013 11:09 PM
Replies: 10 (339 views)
Last post by: CocoFiero on 07-23-2013 03:10 PM
CocoFiero

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2013 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CocoFieroSend a Private Message to CocoFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How hard should it be to separate the engine from the trans?

84 4 cylinder engine mated to a 5 speed Isuzu and presently out of the car. Removed the six bolts holding the trans to the engine. Even removed all the inspection cover bolts too, but left the starter intact. The whole assembly is supported by an engine hoist. Whacked the transaxle with a rubber mallet, used a pry bar a bit in one spot that looks like it was meant for prying. Sprayed PB Blaster in and around the bolt holes cause some of the studs/bolts looked corroded.

Nothing budges. What am I missing?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, on the bolt just above the starter and on the other side the second one down from the top, there is a sleeve that goes into the transmission and engine, like a pin with a hole in it for the bolt to go through. That will hold it together until you pry it apart. Larry
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
did you get the1 engine bolt that goes through from the opposite direction ?? the trans splines are holding inside the clutch disc ?
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He says he took out six, so they are all removed I would say. The little split sleeves can hold the parts really tight, so I think he just needs to pull a little harder ont he pry bar. Larry
CocoFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CocoFieroSend a Private Message to CocoFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you both for the quick replies. I did remove all the bolts, including the one going the opposite direction. Maybe the sleeve and corrosion around it is holding it. I'll give it a little more muscle tonight and update. Thanks.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CocoFiero:
.... The whole assembly is supported by an engine hoist...

You might have a little more success if you support the tranny with a floor jack.
The weight of the tranny could be imparting a great deal of friction on the sleeves and input shaft.
CocoFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CocoFieroSend a Private Message to CocoFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Raydar. I will give that a try as well.
CocoFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CocoFieroSend a Private Message to CocoFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CocoFiero

102 posts
Member since Jan 2012
CocoFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CocoFieroSend a Private Message to CocoFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CocoFiero

102 posts
Member since Jan 2012
jimbolaya

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think he liked your suggestion Radar!

Jim
CocoFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CocoFieroSend a Private Message to CocoFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for all your help. It was indeed the sleeves that were holding it together. It took a significant amount of penetrating oil, plus beating and prying (while trying not to break anything) for it to come loose.

Hopefully I don't do a multiple post again.

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock