advice for new fuel pump by mark1970
Started on: 07-14-2013 05:08 PM
Replies: 18 (486 views)
Last post by: Darth Fiero on 07-18-2013 11:13 AM
mark1970

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2013 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mark1970Send a Private Message to mark1970Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I need to replace my pump soon in a 86 SE 2.8, and would like to know which pumps are the best choice as well well where to get it at the best price thank you.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2013 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I prefer AC Delco. The best price would be the internet (I prefer ebay). Allso replace the pulsater with a pice of fuel line (and 2 small hose clamps).
Be sure and read the instructions because some fuel pump manufacturers reverse wire their pumps. Example, OEM AC Delco should be small prong hot+. Big prong ground--, an after market fuel pump Might be,like this. Little prong ground-- and the big prong hot+.

[This message has been edited by James Bond 007 (edited 07-14-2013).]

mark1970

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2013 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mark1970Send a Private Message to mark1970Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i was thinking of ebay but have heard there are fake ones on there... and want a real ac delco, how can you tell what is a real ac delco?
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2013 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mark1970:

i was thinking of ebay but have heard there are fake ones on there... and want a real ac delco, how can you tell what is a real ac delco?

I've come across a few counterfeit AC Delco fuel pumps. That's why I only use Bosch # 69225. That pump is good for just about any engine swap.
Here is how you can spot an AC Delco counterfeit fuel pump-sometimes!!!!
http://www.acdelco.com/parts/counterfeit/

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2013 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Buying one at a reputable dealer (store OR online) would minimize liklihood of getting a fake.

I paid $77 for mine at Autozone but that was in 2003. I looked online just now, and its currently $79.99. Rock auto has them for $63. I wouldn't hesitate to use either.
blacknotchback86

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2013 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blacknotchback86Send a Private Message to blacknotchback86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
this would be the cheapest at rock auto $25. but best would be some thing with a life time warranty... don't forget to get a strainer.

http://www.rockauto.com/

James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Don't buy any fuel pump from china or Japan. Unless its a U.S. based company that has strict quality controll. Some counterfit parts will even print on the packageing, made in China or made in Japan!

[This message has been edited by James Bond 007 (edited 07-15-2013).]

css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blacknotchback86:

this would be the cheapest at rock auto $25.

I saw those too but I'd be leery of something really cheap, especially if I'd never heard of the brand name. Warranty or not, you don't want to have to do the job over in a year from now if the cheap one fails.

When I replaced mine, the advice here on the forum was to get an AC Delco. Its been ten years and its been great. The one I replaced had lasted barely over a year (installed by a shop, for the previous owner). As far as I know, it was NAPA's house brand, not AC Delco.

blacknotchback86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blacknotchback86Send a Private Message to blacknotchback86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

I saw those too but I'd be leery of something really cheap, especially if I'd never heard of the brand name. Warranty or not, you don't want to have to do the job over in a year from now if the cheap one fails.

When I replaced mine, the advice here on the forum was to get an AC Delco. Its been ten years and its been great. The one I replaced had lasted barely over a year (installed by a shop, for the previous owner). As far as I know, it was NAPA's house brand, not AC Delco.

exactly right that why i going to a fuel cell on mine. juts buying one that fit in the trunk for around $280 if i had to i can pull it out of the trunk and dump it easier then getting to drop it from underneath then all i got to do is plumb it for the pump the rci 2161ad is 30 inch long by 12 inch tall and 9 inch wide those size will drop right in the trunk of the car all you got to do to fill it is open the trunk to fill the gas tank. the tank come with the gm 0-90 ohm sending unit and three port for vents etc... talk about a pita dropping the tank and having to redo it some thing i do not want to do 5-10 times owning this car for the rest of the life of me. but a little pricey. any ways i would look for some thing like eldobrock or a holley fuel pump with a life time warranty. any ways best of luck....

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by James Bond 007:

Don't buy any fuel pump from china or Japan. Unless its a U.S. based company that has strict quality controll. Some counterfit parts will even print on the packageing, made in China or made in Japan!

Last I heard, AC Delco is now Made in China. Bosch makes their in Brazil and Walbro makes some of theirs here or perhaps they've moved to China as well. When people demand price instead of quality this is what results. We are now buying sh*t because of this.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

mark1970

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mark1970Send a Private Message to mark1970Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys for the info, i think i am going to go with the bosh pump... its 46 from rock auto and will try and do a price match at advance so i can get it in this weekend....
PFF
System Bot
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have Bosch pumps on 2 Fieros -- a 4 and a 6. Both work great, and are very quiet.
blacknotchback86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 04:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blacknotchback86Send a Private Message to blacknotchback86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bosch is a good brand i think they got a life time warranty at advanced too.. the reason i brought up the ltw is if they crap out i did not want you stuck paying another 90-100 for another fuel pump . i think most fiero pump got 90 days to 1 year warranty's. like the saying sh*t happens and would hate to see you stuck.... any ways hope it all turns out awesome and runs like a dream.

Inferno

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What about a used one from a 98+ GTP?
IFLYR22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 02:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

... Allso replace the pulsater with a pice of fuel line (and 2 small hose clamps).

Be careful on this. Some fuel hose is designed to have the fuel run through it, and not to be submerged in it.

-Dave

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have put Delphi in 2 Fieros and AC Delco in one, all work great. Check parts stores , then see if Amazon is cheaper. Another thing to price check is the strainer, Autozone wanted $10 for a strainer! Something like $3-4 other places.

But yeah Ac Delco is being copied by cheap stuff from over teh border, I dont know how to tell.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 07-17-2013).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007

Also replace the pulsater with a pice of fuel line (and 2 small hose clamps).

I thought only 87-88s had pulsators?
Also whats wrong with a pulsator? I reused it on my 88...
dudewithoutfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dudewithoutfieroSend a Private Message to dudewithoutfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I thought only 87-88s had pulsators?
Also whats wrong with a pulsator? I reused it on my 88...

mine was bad and leaked pressure. mine is an 86 so i think they were used in all years. when you replace them you need to get submersible fuel injection hose. also get the right hose clamps too, don't go cheap on them get the fuel injection hose clamps
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just bought an AC Delco EP-381 pump and the box said it was made in Brazil. For all we know the same plant that made my Delco pump could also make the Bosch pumps!

Amazon.com sometimes has cheaper prices on AC Delco parts than RockAuto does, so don't overlook them.

------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock