Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  rci racing 2161ad fuel cell any one got pic's of one plumed in their car??

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
rci racing 2161ad fuel cell any one got pic's of one plumed in their car?? by blacknotchback86
Started on: 07-14-2013 03:15 PM
Replies: 5 (312 views)
Last post by: blacknotchback86 on 07-15-2013 11:02 PM
blacknotchback86

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2013 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blacknotchback86Send a Private Message to blacknotchback86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just got done testing spark and fuel and every thing and the fuel is not getting to the fuel rail so it either drop the tank and fix fuel pump and sock or buy a fuel cell. i am leaning towards a rci fuel cell the 2161ad it a powder coated black three bung with a 0-90 sender for fuel level. i think will work with the fiero if not external gauge just wondering what i need to plum a fuel cell? and if you got any picture of how you did yours? it would help greatly!

by the way the fuel filter was replace two week ago so it not that i hope. i think there is so much junk in the old tank the sock is plugged i don't even here the fuel pump prime is another reason i think it dead. so i am leaning towards the easy of this and if i get the car to a shop drop it later and leave the tank out.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
CC Rider

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try hot wiring the FP at the ALDL before you drop the tank.
Even try swapping the AC and FP relays.
Good luck.
IFLYR22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where are you planning installing the RCI tank? It will not work in the stock location without significant modifications.

If stock:
The fuel pump will not prime if the relay is bad, or the ECM is bad. The oil sender will route power to the pump when the oil pressure starts to climb, but not for prime.
Check the fuses, relay, and check for any ECM trouble codes (other than 12...12...12).

I have plumbed fuel cells. They are not much different from the stock tanks.
You still have your feed & return (if needed), Vent, Filler, and level sender. In tank pumps are not as common on those types of tanks and are not usually setup for one. Most often they are setup for siphon feed to pump.

-Dave
blacknotchback86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blacknotchback86Send a Private Message to blacknotchback86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CC Rider:

Try hot wiring the FP at the ALDL before you drop the tank.
Even try swapping the AC and FP relays.
Good luck.

already tried it i think it jammed by varnish in the tank or plugged by vanish the car has been sitting for about the last 8 years with the same gas in it never changed or ran out cause my brother attempted a re-build and never got it right. that ware i came in just lately instead of selling it it grew on me and i de-sided to keep it as a freebie. any ways the fuel cell was not meant to fit there cause it is square for one not the right shape as another point etc.. etc..

i was thinking mounting it in the trunk since it is 30 inch long by 12 high and 9 inch wide it will fit... then it plumbing in a fuel pump and making a lid to hide the tank seen one for 80 some were so if that's a hint... this way i don't have to drop the tank till i can get it to a shop and put it on a lift.. and throw out that old heavy one for a light aluminum one... then if the pump ever went bad i can switch it out in about 45 minutes or less... any ways see my point on wanting it... same with the filter easy change out..........
n7vrz

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for n7vrzSend a Private Message to n7vrzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see you haven't thought of this: the weight of the gas in the tank is now behind the rear wheels. Before it was centered and the weight was evenly (mostly) distributed to the four corners.
With the fuel cell mounted in the trunk you have unbalanced the weight distribution.
15 gallons (that was a 15 gal fuel cell you indicated) at 6.216 pounds per gallon (regular unleaded) is 93.24 pounds of extra weight in the wrong place for handling. That doesn't include the tank, plumbing, etc. which will be even more.
Then if you take the Fiero tank out, you shift even more weight by removing some from the center. Weight distribution does affect handling. Just watch NASCAR. They shift weight around to change handling all the time. And they aren't changing it by 100 pounds.
The ONLY way I would do this is if that fuel cell is a very temporary way to keep the car drivable while the regular tank and plumbing is fixed and then put back in.
But that is just my opinion.
blacknotchback86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blacknotchback86Send a Private Message to blacknotchback86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by n7vrz:

I see you haven't thought of this: the weight of the gas in the tank is now behind the rear wheels. Before it was centered and the weight was evenly (mostly) distributed to the four corners.
With the fuel cell mounted in the trunk you have unbalanced the weight distribution.
15 gallons (that was a 15 gal fuel cell you indicated) at 6.216 pounds per gallon (regular unleaded) is 93.24 pounds of extra weight in the wrong place for handling. That doesn't include the tank, plumbing, etc. which will be even more.
Then if you take the Fiero tank out, you shift even more weight by removing some from the center. Weight distribution does affect handling. Just watch NASCAR. They shift weight around to change handling all the time. And they aren't changing it by 100 pounds.
The ONLY way I would do this is if that fuel cell is a very temporary way to keep the car drivable while the regular tank and plumbing is fixed and then put back in.
But that is just my opinion.

your right the one thing that i was more concerned about was a rear impact . and decided to scrap this idea from lack of fuel tank protection. or i could do what Chrysler is doing and add a trailer hitch Any ways de-sided to play a bit with it tonight the fuel pump relay or the connector is bad again cause of corrosion. any ways i need to wire in a modern style connector i am thinking two relays and two connectors? two four pin relay and two four pin connectors would work to replace a 5 pin connector ???

thank you for reminding me to redo the test on the alcl connector. for one the pump turned on. thing is i just went threw all this not more then a month ago and assumed it was all good. this is cause i soldered the wires strait to the relay. and worked fine now i got a problem with it again. going to go modern relay the five pin like these below at link

http://compare.ebay.com/lik...ceItemTypes&var=sbar

any ways thanks for all the help!

[This message has been edited by blacknotchback86 (edited 07-15-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock