Repairing Busted Plastic under armrest/ console by dematrix86gt
Started on: 07-13-2013 01:47 AM
Replies: 4 (354 views)
Last post by: dematrix86gt on 07-15-2013 03:21 PM
dematrix86gt

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2013 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Recently i had a friend try to adjust himself with a elbow to the top of my console. Busting the plastic underneath. After considering fiberglass to repair i remembered i had something much better and looks alot nicer . Its called Glaze Coat. its a 2 part resin and hardener. I super glued the broke pieces back togather and Damed up both ends of the bottom of the console by using 3m green 2" tape by back taping. Duck tape will work also. i wanted about a 3/8 fill for the repair. Mixed the resin & Hardener 1.1 mix real good. then pour into the bottom of the console. its self leveling so make sure the bottom of your console is level. It does generate a little heat during catalyst so do this outside. After 6 to 8 hrs you can stand on the console without fear of breaking again. This glaze coat bonds to anything and when it sets up its transparent , you can see right thru it, even a couple inches thick. Glaze coat can be bought at lowes or other hardware stores. Its used to embed objects in tables such as beer lids, playing cards, even scorpions.
Ive poured this stuff almost 2 inches thick before and its clear as a bell. Its cheap and hella strong!
Hope someone can use this fix. Im including the information of the product Glaze Coat and the company.
Glaze Coat
made by Eclectic Products, Inc.
Pineville ,LA 71361
http://glazecoat.com/GlazeCoat.htm

[This message has been edited by dematrix86gt (edited 07-13-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
CC Rider

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very cool
Do you have any pics of the repair?
PatrickTRoof

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That sounds like really useful stuff! Thanks for the tip!
fierogtlt1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am in the process of making replacement center console skeletons out of much harder and durable plastic than the original.But your tip
is a good idea.
dematrix86gt

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have to pull the console again this week to finish sound proofing and will snap some pics of the repair. This stuff is tough and self levels smooth. My skeleton is in good shape it was the bottom of my console that got busted. I have a cracked and busted ground effect that im going to back fill with glaze coat and refinish and ill take step by step pics while doing it. my experince with fiberglass is that eventually it releases from plastic. this stuff doesnt.. like i said this stuff bonds to anything.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock