Rear Ball Joint Removal by jpeeler
Started on: 07-11-2013 06:51 PM
Replies: 5 (1064 views)
Last post by: James Bond 007 on 07-12-2013 09:09 PM
jpeeler

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jpeelerSend a Private Message to jpeelerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any Idea on how to remove this? The other side was just three small bolts. This is different. Any help greatly appreciated. 86 GT.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TWright

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TWrightSend a Private Message to TWrightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have not taken riveted Fiero ball joints off, but: On other GM cars, I have just chiseled off the head of the rivet with a cold chisel and a hammer. If you have a compressor, a die grinder will take the head off of that very quickly.
fieroaddicted

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am up against this same issue now. I am planning to grind the head off the rivits and use a punch to remove them. I am hoping that a new one will come with bolts to install it
troy
jpeeler

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jpeelerSend a Private Message to jpeelerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroaddicted:

I am up against this same issue now. I am planning to grind the head off the rivits and use a punch to remove them. I am hoping that a new one will come with bolts to install it
troy

The Raybestos ones I got on amazon came with the three small bolts and a new pinch bolts. I have a three inch grinding wheel but don't think I can fit that in there. I will pick up something for the compressor to do this. This balljoint isn't worn like the other side was but for 17 bucks on amazon you cant beat it.
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2013 03:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
drill them out, good luck with grinding and punch,,, save yourself time and just use a good drill bit, once you get all the way through the control arm and rivet the all joint will just drop out.

------------------

87 GT
series 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar
86GT 3800 n/a

James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2013 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just did this on a Grand Prix. I had to use an angle grinder to grind the heads off,dont worry about damageing the ball joit,thats going in the trash anyway.Now on the Grand Prix a Punch and hand held sledge wouldn't work after grinding off the heads! Use this,step if you can't hammer them out (after grinding). I dimpled the center of the ground down rivots with a dremmel. I then progressivly drilled through the rivots (use plenty of oil,it will keep your drill bits cool and sharp).Use a slightly larger drill each time,eventualley the remainder of the rivots will fall apart or come out. If you still can't get them out,you may have to grind the bottom of the rivots off too. Use an old bolt to gauge the size and length you'll need.Now go to Home Depo and use High grade steel bolts from their bolt section,Look for a drawer chest with metrick bolts,they are high grade steel (allso try and find lock nuts or use lock tite,if you can't find those).Otherwise,you can get bolts from the wrecking yard.
Further Reading:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/129265.html

[This message has been edited by James Bond 007 (edited 07-12-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock