Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Rear Suspension Steers under throttle (1988 notchie)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Rear Suspension Steers under throttle (1988 notchie) by Figero88
Started on: 07-10-2013 12:15 AM
Replies: 7 (731 views)
Last post by: Figero88 on 07-11-2013 07:22 PM
Figero88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2013 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Figero88Send a Private Message to Figero88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have enjoyed my 1988 LS3/F40 6-speed (Archie swapped) Fiero as a fair weather driver for the past 2 years. Within the last month, I have noticed that the car steers to the left under throttle (feels like it is steering from the rear) and when I release the throttle, it straightens back out. I have had the vehicle aligned at the local Chevy dealer (where they checked suspension components for looseness). Once aligned to specs, they found no further issues. The Fiero does have a Quaife LSD, and there are no abnormal sounds emanating from the car or powertrain.

This is my first post. I have enjoyed my highschool dream car thoroughly so far and hope to tap into the incredible knowledge base of this forum. Does anyone know what may be causing this rear steer issue? I am afraid that continued driving may cause something to snap (the "rear steer" is most noticable on the highway). Before this started happening, I did hear/feel a pop from the back of the car.

The specs of what was done during the alignment is listed below:

Alignment:
1. Rear cradle alignment checked, adjusted to specs, tightened.
2. Toe, Camber, Caster, Alignment checked, brought back to specs, tightened-front and rear.
3. Shocks and struts visually inspected. No issues.
4. Steering components and linkage checked. No issues.
5. Front and rear brake pads checked. No issues.
6. CV drive axle boots leaking a little.

I appreciate everyone's help on this topic (tried the search engine here and nothing pertaining to this issue popped up...even when searching the archives)!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2013 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would look at the left rear suspension. I would say that somehow the left rear wheel is shifting forward when it pulls, that pushes the rear to the right and causes the car to try to go left. It may take quite a load on the wheel to shift it, but I bet you find something. You may try blocking the front wheels and then pulling up against them with the car stationary and see if you see the wheel shift forward. Larry
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2013 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know about the popping noise, but the classic cause of the "throttle steer" issue on the 88 is that the long bolts that go through the knuckle and lateral links will get loose.
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2013 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you verified that the wheel bearings are torqued down to 200 ft lbs?

------------------

Build thread for my 88 + 3800NA swap

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2013 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check the long bolt that attached the lateral (side to side) links to the rear upright. It can work its way loose and allow the wheel to toe in/toe out.

It they are tight, you should probably consider a rod end lateral link upgrade for the rear. With the available torque from the LS3, you could very well just be deflecting the bushings and causing the toe in/toe out. The rod end lateral link upgrade eliminates bushing deflection so no more torque induced toe changes.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2013 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

... the classic cause of the "throttle steer" issue on the 88 is that the long bolts that go through the knuckle and lateral links will get loose.

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Check the long bolt that attached the lateral (side to side) links to the rear upright. It can work its way loose and allow the wheel to toe in/toe out.

Yes!

Originally posted by aaronkoch:

Have you verified that the wheel bearings are torqued down to 200 ft lbs?

Careful! If you mean the big prevailing-torque nuts that retain the axles in the hubs ... 200 ft-lb is correct. If you mean the bolts that attach the hubs to the knuckles ... No!

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 07-11-2013).]

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2013 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine does the same thing. I think my bushings in the arms are worn. I plan on changing them soon.

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo.
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project, Super Duty 4 swap

Figero88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Figero88Send a Private Message to Figero88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I appreciate all the responses provided. I won't be able to check the root cause immediately (I will be starting my 2-week annual training period for the reserves in 2 days) but I will use all the responders' expertise to figure out what is wrong and effect a repair. I will post the results here to aid future Fiero enthusiasts going through a similar situation. Thank you!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock