Ignition key won't turn by JT.86FieroGT
Started on: 07-08-2013 10:00 AM
Replies: 5 (337 views)
Last post by: JT.86FieroGT on 07-09-2013 07:48 PM
JT.86FieroGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2013 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JT.86FieroGTSend a Private Message to JT.86FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I own an 86 Fiero GT, and whenever i get it in and try to start it, I'm sitting there trying to get the key to turn so I can start it. I put the key in the ignition but it won't turn, almost like its the wrong key or something. Eventually I can get it to turn but It is starting to really get on my nerves. This happens every time i go to start it, Sometimes it will only take a few tries but other times it will take a couple minutes. I figured it was my steering wheel locked up but i have tried everything to get it to turn easy.

Anyone know how to fix this?
Thanks

[This message has been edited by JT.86FieroGT (edited 07-08-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2013 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
install new key switch
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2013 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah a new key switch will likely solve the problem. You will have to tear down the column to replace it. BuddyCraigg has a good step-by-step process video on YouTube (you'll have to search for it) to replacing the key lock cylinder assembly, and you can also find Jazzman's steering column assembly guide here (for you, you would read the guide backwards). You can buy a whole new cylinder assembly with keys.

If that doesn't solve it, then likely the sector gear is jammed or something else is holding the lock cylinder in place. You'll have to tear the column further down to replace what is likely the sector gear and actuator throw arm, and if you have tilt it requires removal of the entire column to remove the tilt pins. I don't think this is your problem though, as if it is an actuator arm jam you would know it because you would have broken the arm trying to turn the key (they're very fragile when forced).

[This message has been edited by Fiero84Freak (edited 07-08-2013).]

ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2013 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stick or auto? If auto, could be the interlock mechanism between the shifter and the column is not releasing the lock.
It 'may have come out at the shifter end which is a lot easier to check the dismantling the column. If shifter end ok then you are probably going to have to get into the column.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2013 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive run into cars that key wouldnt turn on or it wouldnt come out. Almost every time it was either the gearshift interlock or the steering wheel interlock. Try moving the shifter/ steering wheel as you turn the key. Id also prob just suggest a new ignition switch anyway...orig is prob worn out anyway.
JT.86FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2013 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JT.86FieroGTSend a Private Message to JT.86FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yea its an automatic. Thanks for the help, i will definitely try all those and figure out what the problem is

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock