Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  New motor and tranny mounts shift motor 1/2 inch to right. Dog bone not straight.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
New motor and tranny mounts shift motor 1/2 inch to right. Dog bone not straight. by jhgraham
Started on: 07-07-2013 10:43 AM
Replies: 11 (291 views)
Last post by: jhgraham on 07-11-2013 05:33 PM
jhgraham

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2013 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jhgrahamClick Here to visit jhgraham's HomePageSend a Private Message to jhgrahamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
!986 V6 notchback ...Recently replaced motor, tranny and gog bone one week ago. Now motor is shifted and dog bone is not straight. Out of adjustement. Any suggestions to fix the dog bone alignment. Do I need to get new mounts again. Thats a 50/50 chance, right?

------------------
Old-timer, Classic_86SE

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2013 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The transmission mount holes in the cradle are slotted to allow the mounts to move side to side for alignment. Larry
marc-alan

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2013 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for marc-alanSend a Private Message to marc-alanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just saw a car that had a similar shifted dog bone like this last night at the car show on high street. Was that you? Great looking car if it was.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2013 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some "main" motor mounts - that is, the large mount that attaches near the area of the alternator bracket - on the 2.8L V6 are designed slightly "flawed". It's not that they are necessarily flawed in themselves. It is that they can push the drivetrain in ways where it seems to sit strange. On my current Fiero I got a motor mount last year that pushed the engine about a two-fifths of a inch further to the left. On a mount I installed a few years ago I actually had to enlarge the holes on the mount pad which pushed the engine about a fourth of an inch over.

I've always had to loosen all the mounts, put on the dog bone but not tighten it down, and then tighten all the mounts up, securing the dog bone last which usually lines it up fairly well. I also do this with poly dog bones, which I've ran on every 2.8L V6 I've had.
jhgraham

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2013 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jhgrahamClick Here to visit jhgraham's HomePageSend a Private Message to jhgrahamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks,... yes that was me. I almost did not show because of the twisted dog bone. Bugs me. Went to two shops to get is fixed but to no avail. Any sugestions to a local shop that cqn fix it?.
trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2013 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you sure you got the front (pulley end) engine mount on in the right direction? The mounting bolts are offset to one side. Larry
marc-alan

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2013 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for marc-alanSend a Private Message to marc-alanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent
jhgraham

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2013 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jhgrahamClick Here to visit jhgraham's HomePageSend a Private Message to jhgrahamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Larry...I did not personaly do the work, done by a shop. Good input on offset bolts. I will check with the installer and have him redoo it if nessasary. Thanks, sounds like a potential fix.
trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2013 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the front mount is on backwards it will shift the engine to the right (to the passanger side). It will also leave the mount slightly cocked because part of the mount base hits the frame. Larry
jhgraham

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2013 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jhgrahamClick Here to visit jhgraham's HomePageSend a Private Message to jhgrahamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I fully understand, the motor is shifted right as you describe. Keep typing, you are making me feel like a solution is possible. Thank you., I am happy.and will inform. I
jhgraham

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jhgrahamClick Here to visit jhgraham's HomePageSend a Private Message to jhgrahamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Larry...the motor mounts are in corect. I beleive he has installed a dog bone that is to long. Would this cause a shifting of the motor to the right. If so do you or anyone else have the correct center to center distance for the proper dog bone. A part number would be great.

The one presently installed has a dimension of 4.75 inches center to center. To me the installation is poor in that I can see deformation of the rubber bushings in the new dog bone.
PFF
System Bot
jhgraham

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jhgrahamClick Here to visit jhgraham's HomePageSend a Private Message to jhgrahamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jhgraham

73 posts
Member since Oct 2011
I retreived the old dog bone from the shop, lucky he still had it. The old one measures 4.00 inches center to center. I will search for a replacement. Any coment on why the new one is twisting the motor to the right?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock