Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  rubber brake lines vs stainless steel (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
rubber brake lines vs stainless steel by mmeyer86gt/gtp
Started on: 07-07-2013 12:25 AM
Replies: 41 (3840 views)
Last post by: Will on 07-15-2013 11:25 AM
Marvin McInnis

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

... racers have no choice but to use custom braided stainless lines.

I wouldn't go quite that far. Since WW-II racers have depended on the aerospace industry for a lot of hardware, including PTFE/stainless hoses, but there are aircraft-spec hydraulic hoses suitable for race car brake use that incorporate rubber lining and non-metallic fiber reinforcement. So there are other choices available. I don't have applicable race experience, so I don't know the factors that go into the selection of PTFE/stainless hose over the rubber/non-metallic alternatives. However I suspect that superior properties at high temperatures and low expansion under pressure (and thus higher precision brake modulation) are major considerations.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 07-15-2013).]

IP: Logged
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

I wouldn't go quite that far. Since WW-II racers have depended on the aerospace industry for a lot of hardware, including PTFE/stainless hoses, but there are aircraft-spec hydraulic hoses suitable for race car brake use that incorporate rubber lining and non-metallic fiber reinforcement. So there are other choices available. I don't have applicable race experience, so I don't know the factors that go into the selection of PTFE/stainless hose over the rubber/non-metallic alternatives. However I suspect that superior properties at high temperatures and low expansion under pressure (and thus higher precision brake modulation) are major considerations.

Resistance to glycol-based fluids is critical for brake hoses... Not sure what airplanes use for brake fluid. Non-brake hydraulics use Skydroil or similar because it's non-flammable... Chemically it's pretty nasty stuff, but I don't know how it compares to glycol.
IP: Logged
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock