Another possible 3800 s2 SC build. by EvilSqueezles
Started on: 07-05-2013 10:53 PM
Replies: 8 (302 views)
Last post by: EvilSqueezles on 07-07-2013 12:47 AM
EvilSqueezles

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As I was making my way around one of the "local" pull a parts, I stumbled across a 3800 Series 2 with SC still on it, one they had pulled from a wrecked car. I guess someone hit a wall with it..

So. I've read a ton of post about this swap, dont get me wrong. But they still leave me wondering where the best place to source all the mounting adapters from. WCF? I've heard some good and some bad about them. Seems like some PFF members were making them... which would be my preferred method since I like the people here, but most of them have either been inactive for a long time... or stopped (?) making swap parts... FIEROFLYER... <----

Also, I want to change my auto over to a 5spd. I know what all I need on that end, but I wanna hear opinions on transmission choice. Obviously the cheaper the better since I'm already having a hard time convincing the wife this is a "good" idea. Getrag 5? F23? I was personally thinking Getrag since I believe I can rock the stock axles that way and they hold up fine(?).

Ok next topic... I know a few people on here make harnesses.. and I'd love to just source this. BUT, this wife doesnt wanna spring the 450+ for me to have it done, so I'll seemingly be tackling this project on my own. Is there anyone with a good amount of info on this I could pick the brains of that wouldnt mind? I would love FIEROFLYER or Phonedawgz to share info, but I completely understand if you dont want to considering it is a source of income for you, whether its a lot or little its still income.

I plan to do poly mounts for everything minus the cradle mounts, going aluminum with them.

I really do need to do this somewhat on the cheap, I mean... I'm not gonna buy junk parts, but I wanna save where I can. Be it by trans selection, mounts, wiring or whatever.

Any info or links to verified good, current, sources for some of these items would be great. WCF is there I know, but I hear they are somewhat slow filling orders and I just dont have that amount of time. I guess if I had to fab up some mounts I could, but I'd much rather not do it myself, already dreading the wiring.

I do plan on sourcing my PCM reprogram. I have no means to do that. Also, I know to get a 98+ PCM to use the stock location. Is there anything from the fiero I need other than the original 2.8 auto harness? Do all the other plugs on the current stock comp plug into the 98? Or do I have to alter them at all? Dash and all that.

Tons of questions, and I know all this info is floating around.. but it seems like every thread I check only answers one question at a time that I have, and alot of them are old threads with links to either places or members no longer doing these services. Thank you very much in advance, I'm picking up the motor in 1 week so I have somewhat of a rush in sourcing the other things necessary to get this done.

~James
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What year Fiero?
EvilSqueezles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry forgot that part. Mine is an 87 GT with the 2.8/auto combo. Currently the cradle is runnin solo though.

~James
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your transmission connectors might be different if going with a non-fiero manual. You will need those connectors that fit your transmission. If you go stock 5 speed your automatic won't have the reverse switch connector. You need an OBD2 connector.

Otherwise most connectors are either on the 3800 or the Fiero harness.
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
F23 uses stock axles.
EvilSqueezles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is the time frame/best vehicle to pull an f23?
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Right now I am just doing the odd bit of work but not advertising for more to keep things slow for a little while, that way my back gets a break and I can actually work on my own 3800SC/F40 swap.
The best F23 to get is from the 2000 to 2002 2.2 Sunfire or Cavalier so it has the right bell housing. The bell housing is easy to tell by looking as ours has the starter down nice and low. Dan

------------------

DARN Cars now open with
Over 30 years wiring experience between cars and trade as an avionics technician in both Canadian Air Force and civilian aviation.
Over 25 years experience building and modifying cars.
Over 10 years of full Fiero engine swaps and harnesses building and still going.

BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dont think anyone is making F23 mounts. Personally, since you are already an auto, I'd stick with it (not the Fiero TH125, but you know what I mean).
EvilSqueezles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2013 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Meaning the 4t65e-hd I assume

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock