Shifter Problems by Midn1ght Driv3r
Started on: 07-05-2013 07:49 PM
Replies: 5 (732 views)
Last post by: Midn1ght Driv3r on 07-07-2013 01:18 AM
Midn1ght Driv3r

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Midn1ght Driv3rSend a Private Message to Midn1ght Driv3rEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive read almost every thread about this and I cant figure out whats wrong with my 4 speed shifter. I can get every gear except reverse. Ive adjusted the cables on the transmission and the shifter holes line up. When i shift over to reverse it starts moving forward. Also when i put the shifter in the bottom left (where there should be no gear) it still moves forward. Also the shifter doesnt stay in the same spot when you let it go. For example if I put the car in first, it will go rest in the 3rd gear spot even though the transmission stays in first gear. Thoughts??

85 SE 2.8 4 speed
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dave E Bouy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wold probably start with disconnecting the cables at the transmission and try moving it through the gears by hand using the arms on the trans and see if everything there works as as it should. Assuming everything is good there then you know where the problem isn't, that could only leave a problem with the cables/cable connections or the shifter itself. . . . .
Midn1ght Driv3r

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Midn1ght Driv3rSend a Private Message to Midn1ght Driv3rEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dave E Bouy:

I wold probably start with disconnecting the cables at the transmission and try moving it through the gears by hand using the arms on the trans and see if everything there works as as it should. Assuming everything is good there then you know where the problem isn't, that could only leave a problem with the cables/cable connections or the shifter itself. . . . .

I've disconnected the cables before and gone through all of them. I just feel like the shifter isn't going far enough over to the left for reverse to actually happen. Any ideas why the shifter won't stay in gear even if the transmission does?
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would guess that your shifter mechanism in the center console is worn out. There are a few threads on here showing that the steel bases crack and/or the bushings in the pivot holes wear out.

As for not staying in the apparent reverse location, the four speed shifters have a special lock-out gate to ensure you don't accidentally put the shifter in reverse. It's really just a spring loaded ramp. The part of the shifter mechanism that rides up that ramp wears out after a while and can make the shifter flop around while in reverse. This might be your problem, but I'd be more inclined to think your bushings are worn out since you've got problems in all gears.

Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Biggest reason is lack of lubrication in the shifter assembly in the console. The steel roller will not go over the hump on the steel piece. Get in there and oil everything up well and there is a good chance it works well again.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Midn1ght Driv3r

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2013 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Midn1ght Driv3rSend a Private Message to Midn1ght Driv3rEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't know there were so many bushings on these shifters. I'm going to lubricate everything and try it again. Otherwise, the bushings seem like the could be a very good thing to replace! Thanks for the help

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock