Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Painting: Going from Red to Black (best way considering cost)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Painting: Going from Red to Black (best way considering cost) by RotrexFiero
Started on: 07-05-2013 09:51 AM
Replies: 4 (605 views)
Last post by: Arns85GT on 07-05-2013 04:13 PM
RotrexFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 87 GT, the traditional original paint, a red with gray ground effects.

I would like a Darth Vader look, a flat black.

How much sanding and prep work would I have to do?
I've heard of using Rustoleum, a paint brush, but I have a good air compressor, and also a paint gun.

I don't have to have a superior car show quality paint job, but I dont want it peeling all over the place.
I think it would look good black, and figure that would be an east color to transition too.

I'm sure a lot of you have been down this road.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Darth Vader has a gloss black look... just sayin'

If you want a flat back out look, you could always Plasti-Dip the car... pretty durable, fairly cheap and completely reversible in the event you want to go in a different direction.

http://www.dipyourcar.com/
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The shop next door plastic dips cars for around $500+. Too keep paint from peeling, sanding it well is the key. Its not a big deal to spray flat or semi-gloss paint. Since you have a plastic body, not metal, you can just shoot it with flat black Hot Rod primer and be done. Its much harder to do a nice glossy paint job. You could also sand it and spray it with black basecoat. Basecoat dries to semi gloss without clear over it. You can also go over that with flat clear if you want.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do yourself a favor. remove the ground affects, wash the car thoroughly, ( or you will sand the contaminants INTO the paint) then sand the car, every square inch. then mask it, Blow it off with compressed air, wipe it down with Clean rags and "Wax and Grease remover". Use a Tack Cloth to remove any small debrit, then spray it. 90% of a paint job is in the "Prep".
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When doing a flat paint job, forget about allot of what you know about a shiny paint job.

First off, you can use black primer as your base coat. It will not be your finish coat.

Get yourself a couple of liters, (quarts) of Duplicolor Matte Clearcoat.

It is a laquer. Easy to apply, easy to fix. Spray it on in light coats. You can re-coat fairly quickly. The lacquer simply has to set up which it does in 1/2 hour or less.

Now if you want a heavier paint job, use your black primer and cover in Duplicolor Jet Black first. Then use the Matte clear coat the same way. I did mine this way, but, I cheated on a couple of spots and you can't tell the difference.

I call it the "Batmobile" now.

Arn

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock