Line from intake housing... by EvilSqueezles
Started on: 07-04-2013 09:37 PM
Replies: 4 (152 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 07-05-2013 07:28 AM
EvilSqueezles

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay, so this is kinda crappy since I dont have pictures of this part.

BUT...

On the stock 2.8 motor, there is a metal tube along the firewall that runs from the bottom of the air box to the back of the motor somewhere. Now, its been a long time since I've had this motor combo, so I cant quite figure out what it was for... and the fact that it was cut on the motor side when I bought this car messes with me even more. Thats not the PCV line is it? When I got the motor out, it had an open hole in the back valve cover, and no breather on the trunk side valve cover.

My other thought is where does the crank breather run to?

I'm buying a different motor that I believe to be complete, but I wanna make sure that if its something that needs to be hooked up, that it is. Thanks in advance.

~James
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The small rubber hose coming off the filter canister goes to the small metal line attached to the firewall. The other end of the metal line transitions back to a rubber hose near the right side deck lid hinge. That rubber hose plugs onto the nipple on the end of the EGR solenoid which is the cylindrical object just below the thermostat housing cap. It provides fresh filtered air for the EGR solenoid.

The large metal line running along the firewall was put out of commission in the recall program that moved the PCV line to connect with the air intake tube. The replacement PCV metal line of course plugs into the grommet in the forward valve cover. The other end passes by the throttle body and makes a 90 degree turn and plugs into a hole on the forward side of the rubber air intake tube, just in front of the throttle body. If you can't see it, feel along the back edge of the rubber air intake tube or grab a dental or makeup mirror. If you have nothing plugged into the grommet in the forward valve cover, I wouldn't drive the car since oil mist can be blown out onto the front exhaust manifold, possibly resulting in a fire. The original air intake tube had a sharp offset in it while the recall version had a smooth curve between the filter and throttle body.
EvilSqueezles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So that makes sense. The smaller diamter tubing was still intact and hooked up. It was the larger diameter tubing that was cut off. I wont be using this motor, and the motor I'm gettin has all the correct lines. I just wanted to know if it was something I had to reconnect once the swap is done. But I understand how the PCV line is supposed to go to the intake tube. Not sure why those things werent there. But glad to know its not something to worry about. Thanks. And no, I would never run an engine with an open hole in a valve cover.

I appreciate the reply and the detail that you gave.

~James
EvilSqueezles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

EvilSqueezles

397 posts
Member since Apr 2007
On another note. I plan to do an EGR delete on the replacement motor. And I am gonna buy the chip to not toss codes. Would I still need that small line that goes to the EGR solenoid? I know alot if not all of those lines on/off the solenoid get capped/plugged. Thanks again

~James
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, you wouldn't need that small line. I'd suggest getting a small rubber vacuum port cap and placing it on the nipple on the bottom of the air filter canister. The EGR solenoid is deleted when you delete the EGR valve. Part of the purpose of the new chip is to delete or modify the info that would be received from the EGR circuit.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock