TFS Gouging for 87-88 headlight parts by Fierology
Started on: 07-04-2013 01:43 PM
Replies: 16 (450 views)
Last post by: fierogt28 on 07-06-2013 12:04 AM
Fierology

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierologySend a Private Message to FierologyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero Store charges to much for 87-88 headlight gear bushings. Any ideas? I don't want to dish out $8 plus s&h for six slices of plastic cylinder. That much material probably costs 8 cents. Add a little for labor and service charge. Probably $2 would be a happy profit. Does anyone know the dimensions of those bushings? If not, I'll have to open the good motor to measure.

Thanks,
Michael

------------------
"A guy knows he's in love when he loses interest in his car for a few days." -Tim Allen

He who dies with the most toys... still dies.

My '84 Resto

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
there are lots on ebay and they go for about the same price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PON...em56582adff0&vxp=mtr
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the last set I rebuilt, I used some 1/4-20 nuts (or maybe 5/16" ones) with 2 nuts per cavity. All the bushings are for is to fill the cavities while allowing some relative movement. The plastic bushings are more flexible and "easier" on the gear.
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Many (myself not included) buy these plastic plugs from (ultimately) an injection mold parts supplier. They are injection molded (who knows what) plastic and no where near the strength of the OEM GM Delrin bushings. I have mine turned from Delrin bar stock and they are strong like the OEM GM bushings. More than a few buy mine saying the last ones they bought from **** only lasted a short period of time.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

Many (myself not included) buy these plastic plugs from (ultimately) an injection mold parts supplier. They are injection molded (who knows what) plastic and no where near the strength of the OEM GM Delrin bushings. I have mine turned from Delrin bar stock and they are strong like the OEM GM bushings. More than a few buy mine saying the last ones they bought from **** only lasted a short period of time.

I was going to say, get Rodney's but you already gave yourself a free plug
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:
I was going to say, get Rodney's but you already gave yourself a free plug

This!

Given the option, I'll always buy from Rodney first.
Fierology

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierologySend a Private Message to FierologyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks
rourke_87_T-Top

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rourke_87_T-Top:

I rebuilt the headlight motors with RD bushings, I use a 13 mm socket to keep brushes held back while I tie the 6 lb. fishing line. then remove the socket and set the armature in place, so easy a caveman could do it.

Old Lar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If anyone is unhappy with the cost or quality of available products out there feel free to build and make your own that you are happy with and you can make them affordable and profitable for your work.
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

These are the same size as older Ford electric window motor rebuild kits. Years ago if you bought them from a parts place they were turned Delrin. Not anymore. Now they are the same low grade injection molded plastic and they also do not last long in the Ford window motors.

Mine will always be made from Delrin bar stock.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rourke_87_T-Top:
I rebuilt the headlight motors with RD bushings, I use a 13 mm socket to keep brushes held back while I tie the 6 lb. fishing line. then remove the socket and set the armature in place, so easy a caveman could do it.

I have never gone in to that section of my headlight motors. I've never had an actual motor to fail.
It's always the three plastic (delrin?) bushings in the gearbox section.
PFF
System Bot
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierology:
I don't want to dish out $8 plus s&h for six slices of plastic cylinder.

Imagine my sticker shock when my eyeglasses store told me the charge for two plastic lenses was over $1000! That's what they billed my insurance for and I paid about $280 out of pocket! I even complained to my insurance company but they didn't seem to care.

I guess plastic is just plain expensive!

------------------
Jonathan

'68-69 GTO Nose - The Project has Begun!
My '85 L67 Build Thread

infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Given the option, I'll always buy from Rodney first.

Agreed, I haven't bought anything lately from Rodney but every part I have bought from him has exceeded my expectation by a lot way. Delrin is very expensive and you really do get what you pay for.

Jonathan one of my oldest friends worked for the biggest lens coating lab in the US. He once told me the AVERAGE mark up on eyeglasses is 700% The lens coatings he supplied to eyewear stores cost them $10 ea. (they often sold for over $80 ea. at retail).

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 07-05-2013).]

sspeedstreet

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Old Lar:

If anyone is unhappy with the cost or quality of available products out there feel free to build and make your own that you are happy with and you can make them affordable and profitable for your work.

Totally agree. It's called the free enterprise system. You are free not to buy as well.

Fierology

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierologySend a Private Message to FierologyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright. Thanks. Sorry that the tone of my original message was disrespectful. I understand what you're saying.

Thanks,
Michael
tebailey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All we ask is that if you charge premium prices, use premium materials. That seems to be what Rodney does, and thanks for keeping quality ahead of profits.
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tebailey:

All we ask is that if you charge premium prices, use premium materials. That seems to be what Rodney does, and thanks for keeping quality ahead of profits.

Exactly, I agree what tebailey mentions.

Fierology, come on...8$ isn't the end of the world. I suggest get Rodneys...

If you think its that expensive, keep driving with your headlights in the "up" position.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock