3800 Northstar Throttle Cable by 86GTFastback
Started on: 07-03-2013 06:05 PM
Replies: 10 (1093 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 11-19-2020 10:07 AM
86GTFastback

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GTFastbackSend a Private Message to 86GTFastbackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm working out how to attach my v6 throttle cable to the northstar throttle body on my l67 swap, I bought the bracket from zzp and modified it so it attaches, but the actual end of the cable is where I'm stuck at the moment. I've seen recommendations to use the 87-88 4cyl throttle cable, but I'd rather not try to track one down if I can help it unless someone has one to sell on here.

The half moon piece is plastic so I can't weld a nut to it like I've seen done on the stock 3800 throttle body. Anyone done this before? Pictures and threads seem sparse on this. Two of my current ideas would be to either drill a hole through the plastic on the side and use a bolt or if I pull the cable all the way through the half moon piece I can use a screw to attach it on the flat part. The latter however opens the throttle a degree or two.

Any help or pictures would be appreciated, if anyone wants further clarification of my ideas I can take pictures.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jfrost

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just went through this on my swap. I ended up drilling a hole in the plastic rotating arm and secured the cable end with a bolt. Don't have any pictures of it yet, but measure it out and you should be fine.

------------------
Project L67 Fiero

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jfrost:

Just went through this on my swap. I ended up drilling a hole in the plastic rotating arm and secured the cable end with a bolt. Don't have any pictures of it yet, but measure it out and you should be fine.

I also do this on 3800SC swaps and it works fine but I fabricate the throttle cable bracket from a piece of the Fiero bracket and some L channel. The only fine point is making sure that the cable is tight enough to open the throttle body all the way at WOT. The cable should have very little if any slack in it.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought some cable end things and used them. I'll try to dog up some pics.
86GTFastback

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GTFastbackSend a Private Message to 86GTFastbackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everyone, I'm working on planning it out, don't want to screw up the brand new throttle body, if anyone could snap a couple pictures that would really help, if you don't want to mess with photobucket, etc, you can just email them to me, or picture text (just pm or let me know in this thread and I'll pm you my number) I'd appreciate it.

[This message has been edited by 86GTFastback (edited 07-04-2013).]

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the item I used. I got it at a local auto parts store.

I had to slightly open up the hole in the TB. I then cut the factory eyelet off the cable, pushed the cable thru this thing, made it snug, then tightened down the screw. Its been fine for like 5 years.

I've searched, and can't find any good pictures anywhere. Here is one showing the modified cable bracket. I just opened it up a bit for the fiero throttle cable to fit through.

Can almost see it if you look close here..

This is a stock throttle body, but same idea.

Link to when I first did it with stock throttle body. I reused cable/barrel when I upgraded to the N*:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...1-053213-4.html#p134

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 07-04-2013).]

85sliverGT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

Here is the item I used. I got it at a local auto parts store....

Just a reminder to anyone using this method is to periodically check and make sure the set screw is still tight!

My dad did the same thing on his car and it came out on him one day while he was out driving
86GTFastback

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GTFastbackSend a Private Message to 86GTFastbackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85sliverGT:

Just a reminder to anyone using this method is to periodically check and make sure the set screw is still tight!

My dad did the same thing on his car and it came out on him one day while he was out driving

That is a good thing to keep in mind, I went out and bought one, when I was sizing up where to drill the hole in the plastic as I was going to insert it sideways I noticed it was just long enough to reach the recession in the bottom of the plastic half moon (I wish I knew what that piece is called).

So at the moment, I cut the metal eye part off the stock cable, and inserted it into one of those "Dorman - Help Cable Stops" as they were called and put it into the recession. It is tight enough I had to pull the cable out of the bracket to put it there. Here is what it looks like:

Personally I think it works, as long as it doesn't come loose on the cable stop, I was thrashing the gas pedal to make sure it wasn't going to pop out, like I mentioned, to get it out you have to take the cable off the bracket. I took some vice grips and tightened the cable stop down for now. If it's a terrible idea just let me know, but it seems functional. Also, couldn't you use some lock-tight on the screw?

[This message has been edited by 86GTFastback (edited 07-04-2013).]

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tightened mine with pliars too. Its been there since 05.
Monstertone

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2020 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonstertoneSend a Private Message to MonstertoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Replace that slotted head screw with a hex socket head cup point set screw. No need to use Loctite.
BTW: what yaer did GM switch from the metal throttle cam to the plastic? The metal one has the hole drilled for that Dorman cable end connector.

[This message has been edited by Monstertone (edited 11-18-2020).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2020 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For those who decide to run the N* throttle body on their 3800SC swap be advised that some small changes to the PCM program will be required . The program has a table which charts TPS % opening vs RPM to define the minimum TPS % that is required to enter power enrich mode. If you add a larger throttle body the TPS voltage will be different relative to the TPS position, (defined by %/volts).
In simple terms say at 3000 RPM your 3800SC TPS sensor reads 2.5V. Now you install a larger throttle body and because of the greater air flow, it takes less throttle opening to achieve 3000 RPM's. The N* TB now reads only 2.0V that is defined as a lower rpm reading by the PCM.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock