Clutch Pedal Went Away by fffttt1
Started on: 07-01-2013 11:32 AM
Replies: 9 (225 views)
Last post by: mitchjl22 on 07-01-2013 06:29 PM
fffttt1

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fffttt1Send a Private Message to fffttt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Clutch was working fine for years. Clutch Net pressure plate/disc assembly and throwout bearing has about 5000mi.. Slave cylinder is older ('84 ?) long stroke. Hydraulic line has no air. Driving to work and at destination clutch went almost to floor, grabbing ~ 1/2in. from floor. Driving home from work, pedal went away totally. Good thing I know how to up/downshift w/o clutch! No sign of fluid leakage anywhere. Do I suspect master or slave first, and is there a way to test before I start replacing parts?
Thanks, Ray in TX.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the slave leaks it will run out around the rod. If the Master leaks you may not see it because of the design, the fluid can be returned to resivor. I would suspect master first. Larry
fffttt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fffttt1Send a Private Message to fffttt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the reply "trotterlg". Opinion........rebuild kit, or just go ahead and buy a new master? Autozone "Duralast" master for ~ $38.
Thanks, Ray in TX.
trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You kind of hate just throwing parts at a problem, but since there is only really two parts to work with it may be the easiest thing to do, I would go with a complete unit, but then I have money in my pocket. First I would check to see that nothing is bent under the dash, then buy parts. Larry
fffttt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fffttt1Send a Private Message to fffttt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the money so I'll just replace the master. If that doesn't fix it.........I'll have a spare unit!
Thanks, Ray in TX
TONY_C

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
before you go replacing parts, did you have someone depress the clutch while you observed thelinkage on the tranny to see if it is moving?
fffttt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fffttt1Send a Private Message to fffttt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes I did. I had the engine bonnet open, drivers door open, and I depressed the clutch pedal with an old broom handle. The lever on the transmission housing did not move.
Thanks, Ray in TX.
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At least on V6s, I know they used a different clutch fork till mid 86. It was a welded up conglomeration of bits and pieces. I had one fall apart on my 86 4 spd. I had to nurse it back home shifting without a clutch. After mid 86 they went to a one piece solid fork. Its a direct bolt in replacement, but kit does include a new pivot shaft which is different than the older one. You will have to pull the transaxle to replace it. If it wasnt your master cylinder, thats where your problem probably is.
fastblack

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you plan on replacing parts, be sure to start here first. Not sure how price compares to local parts stores but I'm sure the quality is MUCH better.
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fastblack:

If you plan on replacing parts, be sure to start here first. Not sure how price compares to local parts stores but I'm sure the quality is MUCH better.

I second this. I bought the getrag all aluminum slave cylinder. Top notch quality.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock