Check Engine soon light came on by 86 Vintage Fiero
Started on: 06-30-2013 10:07 PM
Replies: 12 (341 views)
Last post by: 85 SE VIN 9 on 07-02-2013 02:35 PM
86 Vintage Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2013 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 Vintage FieroSend a Private Message to 86 Vintage FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just got the car back on the road, after a bunch of work was done during the winter and spring. Drove the car about 4 miles and the check "Engine Soon", not certain what caused it. Does everyone have and idea what I need to do or check?.... After, I shut off the engine and restarted it, the light went off, but I didn't run it any more......
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2013 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
check here first
86soon3.4

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2013 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86soon3.4Send a Private Message to 86soon3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll be the first to ask......Year? engine? tranny?

Steve
86 Vintage Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2013 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 Vintage FieroSend a Private Message to 86 Vintage FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The year of the car is 86 GT with a V 6 engine. As far as the transmission it is an automatic.
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My current 88 is doing this and I suspect the egr vacuum solenoid.
My 85 did the same thing and that`s what it was.

I would check for vacuum leaks first and see if you are getting any codes.

Fiero store has new ones:
http://www.fierostore.com/P.../Detail.aspx?s=68324

Paul sometimes has rebuilt ones for 1/2 the price.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/056868.html
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86 Vintage Fiero:

Just got the car back on the road, after a bunch of work was done during the winter and spring.

It's in that bunch. You need to un-bunch it.
Do you think, maybe, it might help just a little if we knew WHAT you did?
86 Vintage Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 Vintage FieroSend a Private Message to 86 Vintage FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For all those interested after receiving the car I realized it needed some updates so the following is what was done to the car:
1) put in a new A/C compressor, flush the system
2) installed a New condenser
3) news 3 core radiator plus new coolant and a new fan
4) belt tensioner
5) new rotors, calipers, brake pads and brake hoses
6) two new belts , one for the A/C and one for the water pump
Note : the A/C is not charged yet, so the old accumaltor is still in the car (temporarily-it screwed in but not tight) until I get it to the garage to have it charged...
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Telling us what you did isn't really going to help us. You need to pull the code that it's throwing.

How to do this is in the first reply in this thread. Here it is again. The only tool you need is a common metal paper clip - and maybe a torx driver to remove the two torx bolts holding the ALDL cover on the center console. Follow the directions in the linked thread to "pull" any thrown code(s).

After you get the code(s) that it is throwing, report back.
SGOUD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2013 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SGOUDSend a Private Message to SGOUDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a similar problem. (88 GT, V6, Very low miles 14000 mi, 5speed). Since last week I get a Check Engine Light when I start the engine. I checked the codes : all I get is 3 code 12 then...3 more code 12; so no error codes registered. The CEL will go off a few minutes later, and sometimes it will flicker and go off as if there was a loose connection !!! The car drives perfectly as if nothing is happening...

Any clue?

85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2013 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
+1 on checking the codes. No codes, no worries. The lights come on sometimes, they often go off again on their own. Yes it means something, but no you don't have to worry about it. My favorite thing to do to avoid such problems is to replace the rubber vacuum hoses. It's cheap and easy and likely to make a good difference.

That is a "bunch." On the A/C I would read the threads on the Black Death (search for "A/C" above). You're close to replacing everything anyway.
IROCTAFIERO

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2013 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IROCTAFIEROSend a Private Message to IROCTAFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That light is actually a misprint. It was supposed to be a "Fiero Ownership" light. Congrats on your car accepting you as it's owner.
PFF
System Bot
86 Vintage Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2013 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 Vintage FieroSend a Private Message to 86 Vintage FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found out what the code was, it is code 12--- Which means the ECM is not receiving a pulse from the distributor..
How or what do I do to correct this??? If someone could explain to me what I did to cause this I would like to understand it better.. and maybe for once I didn't do anything.. That would be a change!!
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2013 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Twelve is no codes, it's all good.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock