3800SC coil pack location by gtoformula
Started on: 06-30-2013 12:32 AM
Replies: 21 (1562 views)
Last post by: bjc 350 on 09-05-2014 12:25 AM
gtoformula

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2013 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am relocating my battery to the front under the spare tire. I decided to also relocate the coil packs. They were mounted in the center of the firewall just to the rear of the fuel tank (like this when i bought it). The coils were in the way of the battery cable routing so I removed the coils and need to move them elsewhere. The battery tray (now empty) looks like a potential area to mount the coils. Anyone have suggestions as to where to mount the coils? The plug wires seem to route well to this location.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2013 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gtoformula:

I am relocating my battery to the front under the spare tire. I decided to also relocate the coil packs. They were mounted in the center of the firewall just to the rear of the fuel tank (like this when i bought it). The coils were in the way of the battery cable routing so I removed the coils and need to move them elsewhere. The battery tray (now empty) looks like a potential area to mount the coils. Anyone have suggestions as to where to mount the coils? The plug wires seem to route well to this location.

That is where I mount them in the swaps I do where the battery is mounted up front. U can then route the plug wires where they can not be seen.
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2013 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Old battery tray is my favourite spot to mount the coils and the PCM on swaps where the battery has been moved. Dan

------------------

DARN Cars now open with
Over 30 years wiring experience between cars and trade as an avionics technician in both Canadian Air Force and civilian aviation.
Over 25 years experience building and modifying cars.
Over 10 years of full Fiero engine swaps and harnesses building and still going.

gtoformula

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2013 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies. Anyone have pictures or links to existing pictures from other threads? I am thinking to mount the coil base plate horizontally to the existing battery tray.
86GTFastback

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2013 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GTFastbackSend a Private Message to 86GTFastbackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just my .02, mine are behind the drivers head basically, on the firewall, couldn't hide the trunk side plug wires though.
1fast2m4

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2013 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I made a 3/16" steel bracket and welded it to the shock tower, I also welded a 3/8 bolt on the underside to run all my grounds to. This left me enough room to mount a Braile battery in the stock location if I wanted to in the future.

------------------
1986 SE 3800SC/4t65eHD (12.871@104.96) I'll Sell it if you like
1985 GT 3800SC (swap in progress)

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2013 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Isn't putting the coils where the battery "Was" going to raise hell with them being under the vent? When it rains, they're going to get drowned. I wanted to put mine there, then thought no. Are they "In the way" of the trunk lid or hinge in the stock position ?
1fast2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2013 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

Isn't putting the coils where the battery "Was" going to raise hell with them being under the vent? When it rains, they're going to get drowned. I wanted to put mine there, then thought no. Are they "In the way" of the trunk lid or hinge in the stock position ?

I haven't had an issue, and i just did my 1st 2500 mile service, and I know 300-400miles of that was in and down right monsoon, also I to leave it running when I wash the car, but that's just an old habit from my LT-1 vette where washing the engine bay with the engine off was a sure fire way to score a no start when your where done. If the car was to stumble at all while spraying off the pass side vent I would be concerned but all is well.

I also didn't need to alter the ICM harness

------------------
1986 SE 3800SC/4t65eHD (12.871@104.96) I'll Sell it if you like
1985 GT 3800SC (swap in progress)

[This message has been edited by 1fast2m4 (edited 06-30-2013).]

Jfrost

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2013 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I mounted mine on the rear bulkhead, next to the deck lid support.

------------------
Project L67 Fiero

bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2013 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I mount them away from exhaust heat. The ignition module is not designed to last in the presence of extreme heat, which you would get directly above the exhaust manifold. Rain is not going to hinder the coils, as long as they are in proper order and not arcing....which would be its own separate issue. I mount my coils low to hide the spark plug wires and I've had my coils under water in a flash flood situation. That was 20,000 miles ago and I haven't had an issue then or since then.
Dave

------------------

www.hausofguru.com

MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2013 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine are in the stock location on the motor.

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread
Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2013 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

That would be a NO....The coil packs are weather packed so getting wet does not hurt them.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What if washing the car and the area/coils get wet and it misses? Coils are mounted on firewall/bulkhead to passenger compartment under the vent on the passenger side.
topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine have been in the stock battery location (battery moved to the front) for about 7 - 8 years, and when it rains here, it POURS. I've had no issues with water causing ignition issues. And I do not shy away from the vents when washing the car or hosing off the engine.

Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Battery tray mount:

Auto trans swap mount when no dog-bone is needed and alternator is relocated to low position:

On my turbo 3800 swap, I have them mounted above the battery tray to make room for the intake piping that passes under them. I have a rubber flap I installed over the top of the coil pack to keep rain and water off them that could pass thru the vent. Never had a problem in this location.

------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 09-02-2014).]

NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

Battery tray mount:

That looks great.... another one to go on my winter bucket list!
djlamp14

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for djlamp14Send a Private Message to djlamp14Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I may move my coils again. For now this is where they are and I've had no issues from the heat.

------------------
11.8@115mph 1/4 mile 1999 Regal GSX being demodded for swap into a 87 Fiero GT.
11 sec pass>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQT4X2eBlR8

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also mounted coil pack where the stock battery was and I have been caught in a couple of very severe rain storms. The coil pack apparently has good water resistance but when the car is moving on a highway air moves quickly upward and out of the vents. I believe that this keeps the coil pack somewhat dry when the car is moving.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fierotregg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierotreggSend a Private Message to FierotreggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Darth
What is that black Supercharger painted with, looks interesting?
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierotregg:

Hey Darth
What is that black Supercharger painted with, looks interesting?

VHT Wrinkle Plus (spray can) paint. Claims to be good to 350 deg F.
PFF
System Bot
bjc 350

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2014 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is how my coils were done on my 84 SC car. The previous owner put them in this location. I had not previously seen them located like this, but they work fine. Not perfect to hide the wires, but the wires are not the focal point , either. But, perhaps the coils are! There are much cleaner installs, but this is not the worst I've seen.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock