SuperRam sneak peak by La fiera
Started on: 06-15-2013 07:29 PM
Replies: 35 (2014 views)
Last post by: sleevePAPA on 09-04-2015 11:56 PM
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2013 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by La fiera (edited 07-20-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Hudini

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2013 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How are you handling the fuel rail?

La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2013 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Won't be using the stock fuel rail.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2013 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I understand that from the picture. I guess what I'm asking is if you have a fuel feed system designed to mate with the intake? Or would a buyer need to fabricate one for himself?

Having made my own open plenum intake for a turbo engine I found that one of the most difficult aspects with the 60* engine is the limited space available between the heads to place injectors and the associated fuel supply rails. Just wondering if you had already worked out the details.

EDIT: those welds look beautiful. I wish I could weld half that well.

[This message has been edited by Hudini (edited 06-16-2013).]

La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2013 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I understand your concern and that is why I went a different route as far as the fuel supply. Service and replacement of injectors will be a breeze. It will also give you the liberty of using the fuel pressure regulator ir FMU of your choice.
Injector location was the other area that was carefully chosen for best performance.

As far as the welds, they are not mine! I just put the idea on paper and my fabricator does the rest. But thank you, I will let him know that.

[This message has been edited by La fiera (edited 06-16-2013).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2013 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see you're finally ditching the stock middle intake and its "soda straw" intake ports. That should boost the upper end performance considerably.
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2013 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

I see you're finally ditching the stock middle intake and its "soda straw" intake ports. That should boost the upper end performance considerably.

Yes Blacktree, it was time to innovate something better. Although the current intake I have installed on the engine doesn't have those runners either and as you mentioned it boosted the power in the upper RPM range.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2013 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
(double post)

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 06-16-2013).]

FFIEROFRED

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2013 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FFIEROFREDSend a Private Message to FFIEROFREDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of the big name brand companys is using the name " super ram" You might have to add some thing to the name. But finaly, some body has made a "no holds barred" intake for it.
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2013 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looked at the picture and I have one question: where are the screw bosses to mount a plenum? Or do you still need to weld on a plate at the top that will have holes for fastening a plenum?
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2013 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lateFormula:

Looked at the picture and I have one question: where are the screw bosses to mount a plenum? Or do you still need to weld on a plate at the top that will have holes for fastening a plenum?

No bolt-on plenum. It'll be one piece intake.
About the name I just noticed that the name super ram is taken. I think I'd re-name it FunnelRam because that is the principle behind the design.

PFF
System Bot
Doober

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DooberSend a Private Message to DooberEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I came across something about this in the Hotchkis thread... is this a stock internals 2.8?
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2013 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doober:

I came across something about this in the Hotchkis thread... is this a stock internals 2.8?

Yes it is.

Doober

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DooberSend a Private Message to DooberEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting... so how much have you gained just from tweaking the intake? I'm taking it on assumption this is also from tuning?
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doober:

Interesting... so how much have you gained just from tweaking the intake? I'm taking it on assumption this is also from tuning?

This intake I haven't finished yet. There have been 3 previous intake designs but this latest one will be the best so far.
The intakes by themselves will not give you much. I dynoed the 1st intake swap only and it only gave me 3whp and 2lbs/ft of torque at the wheel.
Everything is about combination. After I combined the intake with the right head, camshaft exhaust and a better tuning I gained 88whp at 6100rpm.
This intake is part of a package for my non roller 3.4, Every item of the package is one of a kind.
Doober

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 02:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DooberSend a Private Message to DooberEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice, I wasn't sure if the heads had been ported, etc. If you've seen that much of a gain with an intake that started as a stock 2.8 unit, it makes me wonder what the 3900 is capable of in modified form.
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2013 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Update: Plenum completed. Now working on fuel rail.
DimeMachine

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2013 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by La fiera:

Update: Plenum completed. Now working on fuel rail.

Looks sweet. How long did it take you to learn to TIG weld that nice?

------------------
84/87 NB, 3800SC, E-85, VS Cam, 2.8 Pulley, 4T65E-HD, HP Tuners, AEM Wideband, Regal GS Gauges, S-10 Brake Booster. 1/4 mile -11.85 at 114mph

Shonyman32

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2013 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looks sweet. How long did it take you to learn to TIG weld that nice?

As far as the welds, they are not mine! I just put the idea on paper and my fabricator does the rest. But thank you, I will let him know that.
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2013 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just designed the intake, I leave the welding to a professional.
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2013 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome
PFF
System Bot
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2013 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fuel rail on. Finishing with the regulator.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2013 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hehe
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2013 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Finally done! Now finishing the rest of the ultimate 3.4. Updates on the 3.4 will follow after engine is track tuned and dyno tuned.

Ultimate 3.4 definition: Stock bottom end built for strength, not stroked or destroked. Factory iron heads with improved airflow. No Frankensteins.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2013 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2013 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

On the next one, radius these runners at the plenum as much as possible.
I was messing around with this on a flow bench, and you wouldn't believe the difference it makes.
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2013 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This intake I haven't finished yet. There have been 3 previous intake designs but this latest one will be the best so far.
The intakes by themselves will not give you much. I dynoed the 1st intake swap only and it only gave me 3whp and 2lbs/ft of torque at the wheel.
Everything is about combination. After I combined the intake with the right head, camshaft exhaust and a better tuning I gained 88whp at 6100rpm.
This intake is part of a package for my non roller 3.4, Every item of the package is one of a kind.

That's something I learned the hard way.
My ported and shortened stock intake w57mm TB combination made more power than my Trueleo + twin 48mm TB combination with the stock 3400 cam on my ported iron heads.
I need a bigger cam to induce more vacuum from the intake to take advantage of the Trueleo...hence I'm switching back to the ported Fiero intake but adding the DAWG mod until my next motor build that will have a high lift cam and the Trueleo setup.

187 rwhp @ 4150 RPM and 249 ft*lbs @ 3600 RPM (ported and shortened Fiero upper and middle intake with 57mm TB)
vs.
166 rwhp @ 4900 rpm and 203 ft*lbs @ 4000 rpm (Trueleo intake w/twin 48mm TB from L98 V8)

Both used the same ported and polished lower intake with ported heads, intake ports on the heads left rough, polished exhaust ports with 1 3/16" openings feeding Trueleo headers and a full 2.5" exhaust. Both dynos were done on the SAME MUSTANG dyno. On a dynojet, I've done 10rwhp and torque higher on the Trueleo setup and never took the old setup to a Dynojet.
I'm hoping the DAWG mod will allow the stock intake to peak higher than 4150 rpm while still maintaining my torque over a wider power band. My goal is to break 200rwhp with the stock 3400 cam ... because iron heads DO FLOW when ported.

Lesson: if a 3.4/3400 only pulls 400cfm @ 100% VE or 360cfm @ 90% or 340cfm @ 85%, there is no need to build an intake that flows 500cfm.

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 12-13-2013).]

sleevePAPA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2014 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sleevePAPASend a Private Message to sleevePAPAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
mental floss

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-14-2014 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mental flossSend a Private Message to mental flossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder how it performed? And why he's getting rid of it?
1fast2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2014 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think he got out of Fiero's
1fast2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2014 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

1fast2m4

514 posts
Member since Feb 2013
Also as far at the design, I have seen a few similar designs where the Plenum was assembled more like a mail box and instead of a standard thickness sheet of aluminum for the piece where the air enters the runners they use a 3/4 or 1" plate and that becomes a very easy to port last 1" or so of the top of the runners then the top of the plenum can be welded on after all the runners are radiused. I'll try to find a pic. Bacialy you can eliminate all the welds on the inside of the plenum @ the runners inlet
PFF
System Bot
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2014 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why do you need a twin blade 48mm throttle body that flows 783 CFM on a 2.8/3.1/3.4 V6?
Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2014 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:

T
I'm hoping the DAWG mod will allow the stock intake to peak higher than 4150 rpm while still maintaining my torque over a wider power band. My goal is to break 200rwhp with the stock 3400 cam ... because iron heads DO FLOW when ported.

Lesson: if a 3.4/3400 only pulls 400cfm @ 100% VE or 360cfm @ 90% or 340cfm @ 85%, there is no need to build an intake that flows 500cfm.

When mated to a good intake, yes indeed the stock heads flow.
Was that 400 cfm number with a stick intake; it sounds bit high for a stock intake?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Francis T (edited 12-17-2014).]

lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Francis T:

When mated to a good intake, yes indeed the stock heads flow.
Was that 400 cfm number with a stick intake; it sounds bit high for a stock intake?

It's just the air demands of any 3.4L V6 at 6000rpm... You can find online calculators...

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 12-18-2014).]

La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2015 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ehhhh, I still have my Fiero. Just doing some kart racing but the Fiero is my baby. Big valve head are just finished and on their way and this intake is going on them!
sleevePAPA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2015 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sleevePAPASend a Private Message to sleevePAPAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
may want to redesign the entry of those ports, those sharp square edges aren't helping, probably reducing the entry by 20% or so. Would be my educated(or lack thereof)guess.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock