tires by billie
Started on: 06-13-2013 11:47 PM
Replies: 15 (346 views)
Last post by: commodore_dude on 12-01-2013 02:24 PM
billie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2013 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for billieSend a Private Message to billieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 1988 gt with 10300 miles on it....i,m driving it to indy from atlanta for the 30 th....it has the original gt +4 tires on it......i,ve had 2 goodyear dealers check the tires..had them all balanced...checked out fine....no cracks....anyone else out there have the original tires on theirs ????
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2013 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, 25 year old tires are a little long in the tooth I think, but if they hold air go for it. Larry
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2013 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got a good spare ? and a can of fix a flat ? LOL
OneSlowFiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2013 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OneSlowFieroSend a Private Message to OneSlowFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is recommended by all major tire manufacturers to replace your tires every 6 years. The tires on mine now are going to be replaced as they are right in at the end of that time period and are showing external cracking. The idea behind replacing them is that even though there aren't cracks on the outside, the internal integrity of the tire could be compromised. If I were you I would replace them. Will the Goodyear dealers cover your damages if one of your tires catastrophically fails? If by chance you get lucky and they fail in a manner that allows you to pull over doing 65 on the highway, you'll still be in for a headache. For the safety of yourself and the drivers around you please replace them. I know $400 is a lot for new shoes but it is better than lawsuits or a damaged vehicle. Just my $0.02
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2013 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
~530 miles each way on tires you shouldn't drive anywhere? Good luck w/ that.

Get new tires and maybe rims for a long trip. Save old Tires for Show use.

Old tire might look ok but tires "wear" over time even parked from Ozone, sun(UV) light, 25+ years of pressure (edit> ) often full of contaminated air, etc...

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 06-14-2013).]

James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2013 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried driveing to Las Vegas on a tire that was out of balance.I wanted to get new tires when I got back home. Well, I made it there fine,but comeing back the tire started bounceing like a basket ball, no matter what speed, I drove. Well the tire blew...Bring a flash light (make sure the batteries work).Be sure to get gas along the way and make sure, you know of any long streaches of road that have nothing (no gas stations). Allways remember there is usually an autoparts store near by.A tool kit would be helpfull.

[This message has been edited by James Bond 007 (edited 06-14-2013).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2013 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, replace them....
TONY_C

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2013 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You will never make it that far.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2013 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by James Bond 007:
I tried driveing to Las Vegas on a tire that was out of balance.I wanted to get new tires when I got back home. Well, I made it there fine,but comeing back the tire started bounceing like a basket ball, no matter what speed, I drove. Well the tire blew...Bring a flash light (make sure the batteries work).Be sure to get gas along the way and make sure, you know of any long streaches of road that have nothing (no gas stations). Allways remember there is usually an autoparts store near by.A tool kit would be helpfull.
Sounds more like you broke the belt(s). Broken belt can act like out of balance tire.
Too low/high pressure, hit a big hole, etc, can break/de-laminate tread belts.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 06-14-2013).]

mcguiver3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2013 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Put a hitch on the car, buy a small trailer, get a spare set of rims/new tires, mount them on the car. bring the originals on the trailer, mount them when you get there,
If is important. to be 100% at the event
kendallville

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2013 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still have the original on mine , well 3 of them now. A couple weeks ago one blew out . They all looked good , but
So now it goes no where till it gets new ones don't want one to go out on the road.
PFF
System Bot
commodore_dude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2013 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for commodore_dudeSend a Private Message to commodore_dudeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd be interested to see what you end up going with as replacements. Mine still has tires that are either original or at least later GT +4s, with 56k miles... definitely time for some new ones but there doesn't seem to be much discussion about tires for the stock 88 wheels...
billie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2013 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for billieSend a Private Message to billieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the input....after much thought I,m going with new tires...going to save the old ones....going with the Kelly charger gt.....goodyear eagle doesn,t make a matched set anymore...and Kelly is a division of goodyear...
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2013 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fiero owners should absolutely have no problems at all, driving at highway speeds, on old tires until their first blowout.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 06-15-2013).]

commodore_dude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2013 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for commodore_dudeSend a Private Message to commodore_dudeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hadn't seen the Kelly before, it looks interesting! Mostly been looking on sites like Tire Rack and Discount Tire where the most interesting options seem to be a Bridgestone or Firestone, but nothing that's really a summer tire which I'd prefer. At least I can get the Kellys at the local Goodyear store I usually get tires and oil changes for my other vehicles...
commodore_dude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for commodore_dudeSend a Private Message to commodore_dudeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wanted to follow up since there doesn't ever seem to be a lot of discussion about tires for the stock wheels. Just had a set of Kelly Chargers installed on a Black Friday special, and what a difference! No more vibrations at highway speeds, my Wrangler was far more stable above 65 until now. Once we got the old GT +4s off and had a good look at the date codes on the back, it turned out they were from 84

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock